Pros and cons between the Laredo v6 and a limited v8 - JeepForum.com

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-18-2017, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
projectbumper
2004 WJ 

Garage
Pros and cons between the Laredo v6 and a limited v8

It's time to get rid of my current build but i can't decide whether to get another 04 GC Laredo or upgrade to the limited or overland editions for a v8. What are the pros and cons to keeping the same model vs. switching

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-18-2017, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
projectbumper
2004 WJ 

Garage
I'm more looking for performance off road comparison, up keep costs if any difference, key difference.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-18-2017, 06:03 AM
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectbumper View Post
I'm more looking for performance off road comparison, up keep costs if any difference, key difference.
V8 will get you more power and torque. D44A is a little beefier than the D35.

V8 pretty much beats every category vs the inline 6 Laredo. The only thing, IMO, that holds the V8 back is Quadra-Drive.

If you swap a 242 in or find one with one in, then it's pretty clear the V8 limited is the bee's knees.

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer

post #4 of 19 Old 06-18-2017, 07:47 AM
akinshake

1999 WJ 

Garage
Being a I6 owner and having had a v8 for a little bit, the I6 has more readily available parts, cheaper and with iron head on an iron block, a little more forgivable to the abuse. The aluminum heads arent so forgiving when it comes to over heating.

I don't daily drive mine so I don't need the v8 power as much. Plenty to like about both engines depending on your needs. I'd love more power out of my 4.0. You can also get factory v8 with a selectrac transfer case which is an awesome set up. I swapped axles from a v8 to get the little stronger d44a with limited slip differentials.

The trans behind the v8 is a lot stronger than the 42re.

Hope something there helps your decision

99 4.0 Laredo Selectrac, 6.5" IRO long arms front and rear, 35" KM2, 17" Moab JK wheels,IRO transfer case skid, Clayton D44A truss, 4:56 gears and LSD axle swap.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 AM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I went with ease of maintenance because my WJ was going to be my DD. Everything is cheaper and easier to do on the 4.0L. Spark plugs can be done in fifteen minutes, radiator removal in under 45 minutes, replace the head in your driveway in less than a full day, etc. The 4.7L does have nice power, though. If you're not looking for a DD and it's more of a toy I'd go with a 4.7L, especially if you do all the work on your WJ.

Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

I'm glad to have a Laredo, as it has manual HVAC instead of the problem-prone autotemp system. Love the power of the 4.7 but I hate working in the engine bay more than any vehicle that I have owned in the last 40 years.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Stinky7-11
2001 WJ 

I have owned several WJ's, one V8 and two I6. My first I6 was sold with over 300k. The jeep in my profile ( I6, Laredo, Selectrac) now has 77k so i'm sure I will have it for a long time. I'm a big fan of simple & trouble free. To me most important is a rust free find.
blueseasons1 likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Stormtroopin
2004 WJ 

Garage
I had a 99 l6 before I sold it to buy my current 04 v8 and I would do it again in a heart beat. The l6 was cheaper to fix and way easier to work on but after loading it down with camping gear or loading up for a day with the dudes at bigbear it felt so slow and laggy,I'm sure a regear or a stoker would help but my pops said it would be hard to pass smog and $$$. Then I got to drive an overland he had been working on it was a v8HO and instantly new what i wanted. I ended up going with the standard v8 for reasons I won't get into but I would tell anyone with a l6 thinking if making the v8 jump to do it.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-18-2017, 10:56 PM
sdg3205
2001 WJ 

I have owned two I6 and the V8. The only thing i despise about the V8 is how inaccessible some things are. They can be a pain to work on, not impossible of course, just a pain. But when I hit the gas pedal, it's alllllllll worth it!
post #10 of 19 Old 06-19-2017, 05:25 PM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

I own a 2000 4.7. It is hard to work on the simplest of things. I end up giving blood almost every time I have to work on it. It has 150k on it I bought it with 137k . I constantly worry about dropping valve seats , rocker arms falling off and sludge build up. It has great power but I never know how long its gonna last. I see many of them for sale still running great with 200+ miles on them and I see many of them for sale with blown or rebuilt engines due to the valve seat issue. If I had to do it over i'd get the 4.0 or a Blazer.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-19-2017, 05:53 PM
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

The 4.7 might be a little bit more cramped. But it's worth it to me I added select-trac and as long as you keep on the temp and oil changes there should be no worry about sludge at all. I have driven mine across the country twice without an issues.
blueseasons1 likes this.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-19-2017, 06:33 PM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

I didn't buy mine new so I don't know what kind of maintenance it had prior to me owning it. I do my oil changes every 3k, like clockwork. I have noticed the oil staying clearer longer now so I am not worried as much about the sludge. I certainly haven't overheated it since I have owned it. I am planning to do the fan clutch and fan upgrade to take the mystery out of keeping it cool. There is no opening under the headlight so I believe that I am still on the stock E-fan relay. These issues are on my mind though. Compared to my 88 Chevy 350 which I never worry about.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-19-2017, 09:33 PM
fastblack
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My 04 with the 4.7 had 50k on the clock when I bought it and had a rocker come off before my first oil change. The amount of sludge I pulled out of that thing blew my mind. After that it got full synthetic oil changes every 3k miles and it had 180k on it when I sold it and was still going strong.

The power difference between the two motors is VERY noticeable. My 00 Laredo gets around just fine with the 4.0 but I sure do miss the power of that V8.

Sludge:
Attached Images

post #14 of 19 Old 06-20-2017, 04:54 PM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

THAT is pretty amazing.....I topped off my oil with some Marvel Mystery Oil about 200 miles before I did my last oil change. To loosen things up a bit. My oil is staying cleaner longer now that I change it every 3k.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 PM
fastblack
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Most times I replaced a quart of oil with a quart of MMO...unless I was feeling cheap. That stuff is amazing.

I initially took care of the sludge by digging out what I could from under the valve covers. I was going to drop the oil pan but me and an exhaust bolt didn't see eye to eye. Over the course of a day and about 30 miles I changed the oil 5 times, each time using less and less ATF and Sea Foam.

Judging by the amount of sludge compared to the relatively low amount of miles on it when it happened I can only guess the oil had been changed maybe 3-4 times before I got it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.