Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Progress on my 2000 4.7 rebuild

792 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  electrician 
#1 ·
So far my mechanic rebuilt the heads and replaced the timing chains.. However he drove it and said it still makes a ticking noise.. I asked if it could be a piston, he didn't say it was or wasn't.

If it were a piston, how much are GOOD pistons?

#6 ·
Worrying that a "mechanic" cannot locate a ticking noise:confused:
If the top end, the lash adjusters are probably to blame. Hope he has the right tool for the job, or cams are coming back out.
If bottom end, possible piston skirt, although not as common in the 4.7's as some of the 4.0's IMHO.

Martin

#7 ·
Well my mechanic said the lash adjusters have been changed. He said the rocker arms weren't changed yet so he may try those.. He also changed both timing chains..

My jeep broke down because my antifreeze was spewing out the top of my rad for a while, and eventually some got in the exhaust manifold amd mixed with the oil and got in the cams or something like that..

But that problem was fixed and it starts now. but the ticking noise that was created by overheating the first time cuz the rad was cracked is still there

#8 ·
Well i got my jeep back not too long ago. My mechanic thought the problem was fixed after changing the lash adjusters, rocker arms, and timing chains. But the ticking noise was still there, so he then had to change all the pistons, and that worked out for me.

Now the jeep is more powerful than ever, in this cold weather, i let it warm up for several minutes, and then when i go you can just tell it wants to go more than i do.. Great engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.