problem removing a 2000 jeep grand cherokee serpentine tensioner. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > problem removing a 2000 jeep grand cherokee serpentine tensioner.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 01-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
TommySA

problem removing a 2000 jeep grand cherokee serpentine tensioner.

I am having a real problem removing a 2000 jeep grand cherokee serpentine tensioner. The only bolt I can see is on the front and it looks like a star bit.
I tried a 30 which was too small and a 40 was too big. It is also not an Allen wrench
Could this be just a cap over the real bolt that holds the Tensioner.
If it is a cap can it just be removed by putting a screwdriver under the lip of this bolt and tapping it off with a hammer.
I went to the dealership and the mechanics told me they use a regular socket to remove the tensionar.
I do have the new tensioner and there is a hole all the way through where this bolt is located (on The Front)
Is it possible that someone installed the wrong bolt.
I just don't want to do something that will damage anything.
The vehicle is a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - 6 cylinder with AC
Thanks in Advance
tombeavan@live.com

TommySA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Ravie
1999 WJ 

No, the tensioner as far as I know is integral to the alternator mount which has 4 bolts on it. At the very least I'd take that whole thing off (which is easy, two bolts for the alternator and 4 bolts for the bracket) to get a better look-see.
Unread 01-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Taking off the tensioner is a real PITA if you're doing it while on the vehicle with the limited room and all. Remove your alternator and remove the entire bracket assembly and put it in a vice. This will make it much easier for you and if its the original one like mine then you'll need to use a pick and clean out all the crap in the bolt head so your socket gets a good bite or risk stripping it out. I think its a T-35 but don't quote me on that. I ended up tapping the bolt with a hammer a few times to help break it loose and when I reassembled it I put some anti-seize on the threads for the future.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
nickblack
1999 WJ 

It is a t35 and only Jeep would do an asinine thing like putting a torx bolt in a place like that. I just don't get it, along with the torx bolt on the lower control arm. Utterly ridiculous in every way. They must have got a good deal on them. Lube it up and don't strip it. I replaced mine with a regular bolt a long time ago.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
TommySA

Any Idea where I can Purchase The T35?
I tried the local auto stores including Napa and sears
Thanks in Advance
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I went through this recently. I broke 2 of the torx bits trying to get it off the jeep. Tried PB Blaster, etc but it didn't help. I ended up removing the entire tensioner bracket. Once out, I was able to grab the sides of the torx bolt with some vise grips and spin it out. Total PITA!

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
TommySA

how did you remove it if you could not remove the torx bolt?
The edges of the torx head are very thin
I think I might have to grind the Tensioner below the head to grab hold of it with vise grips

thanks

Last edited by TommySA; 01-15-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Believe me I know, lol. The pliers barely had anything to hold onto but their teeth dug in enough to get the job done. My next plan of attack was to weld a standard socket to the end of the torx head. Once it broke free, the rest of the bolt turned out pretty easy.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
cifer6425
1999 WJ 

I am having this problem as well. To complicate things I live in Turkey and its not like I can run down to Auto parts store for what ever I may need. I think once my tensioner assembly arrives, I may just replace the pulley.
cifer6425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
TommySA

I did finally get the old pulley off by grinding grooves into the the pulley and chiseling using the largest screwdriver that I purchased from home depot and hitting the head of the screwdriver with a hammer. The grinder attachment I also purchased from Home Depot. It was a 3 Inch grinder disk that is a cutoff wheel for steel, which comes in a packet of 5. You will need the attachment that you assemble together that you put the cut off wheel into. I also purchased a 12" Drill extension and put that into the drill. I also had to remove the free spinning pulley to the right and slightly above to allow better access. Most of the pulley is cast and will break apart. I did this until I was able to grab the bolt with a pair of channel locks. I replaced the torx bolt with a hex head bolt and put a fender washer under the head. The torx bolt head has a wider head then the bolt and covers the hole of the pulley, this is why you need a fender washer.
The hex bolt is what should have been there to start with. My wasn't that fun, It was a real pain in the you know what.
One suggestion though, cover the openings of the alternator so that steel dust from the grinding will not get inside the alternator or remove the alternator altogether.
Hope this post helps the next poor soul having this same problem.
Unread 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

Just did this day before yesterday on my 99. I removed the alternator, then removed the alternator bracket, which the tensioner arm is attached to. The pulley bolt is a T40 on the back side of the pulley and mine came out fairly easily, but I stood on it and used an impact driver... Only took me about 30 minutes.
fayceoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #12
mkosobucki

Same problem with removing tensioner puley

Guys, I cat even access this T35, the fan shard is on my way. DO I have to remove radiator and fan shard first??
mkosobucki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

No. See my post just above yours.

"Be polite... Be professional... But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Engine compartment LED mod http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...te-up-2260105/
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
jeepyard
1993 ZJ 

It's actually a T-40. I just changed the pulley on my 2000 and I had the whole bracket off anyway because the engine was out of it so decided to go ahead and replace the pulley before I put it back on the engine. It was hard to get loose even in the vise. I ruined 2 T-40 bits getting the bolt out. One twisted off completely and the other one almost twisted off. I tapped it with a hammer and chisel a couple of times and it came loose finally. Shouldn't be such a job just to replace a pulley!!!
jeepyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyard View Post
It's actually a T-40. I just changed the pulley on my 2000 and I had the whole bracket off anyway because the engine was out of it so decided to go ahead and replace the pulley before I put it back on the engine. It was hard to get loose even in the vise. I ruined 2 T-40 bits getting the bolt out. One twisted off completely and the other one almost twisted off. I tapped it with a hammer and chisel a couple of times and it came loose finally. Shouldn't be such a job just to replace a pulley!!!
So... Its a T40, and the best way to do it is to remove the alternator and its bracket....? Huh! Who knew?

"Be polite... Be professional... But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Engine compartment LED mod http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...te-up-2260105/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.