Problem with 4WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Problem with 4WD

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
EverAngelo
1999 WJ 

Question Problem with 4WD

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum, I've searched and cannot find anything which is similar to my issue.

I have a 99 WJ 4.0 I6 which I have swapped out the 247 for a 242HD, refurbished with new morse chain and oil pump. The problem arises when going to put it in any of the 4 drive options, 4p/t and 4f/t it drives but no drive to the front wheels. if then push thru to neutral and back into drive, it loses all drive, and sounds like a manual gearbox does when its not in gear properly, even though the shifter on the box is in the right position. Even when pushed down into 4lo there is no drive to the front wheels. Today I lifted the front end and spun the front wheel, in drive and 4f/t, 4p/t and 4lo the front wheel didn't spin on the other side of the axle, as it would on the rear axle... so I'm pretty much stumped! Any suggestions, is it the TC?... the front axle/diff?... (Just to add, I changed the oil recently in the front diff and all the pinion wheels are there as thought the previous owner may have removed them as messing about with stuff seemed to their forte! )

Thanks in advance

Phil

EverAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Barricade643
1999 WJ 

With the grinding sound like you've mentioned, have you checked to make sure it's fully engaged into the 4x4 mode you've selected? you can adjust the shift linkage under the center console a bit and it may just clear that up for you.
Barricade643 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
EverAngelo
1999 WJ 

I have adjusted that when fitting the 242 from the 247, I've even tried selecting them with the cable detached and moved by hand into the predetermined point on the tc shift lever...
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

with it locked in 4x4 part time or 4 low, and if it is on jack stands and in neutral, the rear tires when turned togther should turn the front tires and vice-verses. When it is jacked up like that, you should be able to grab the front Drive shaft and twist and making all the tires spin. If it spins easily without turning tires, perhaps there are issues at play like a pinion with no teeth or something.
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
EverAngelo
1999 WJ 

Thanks for that I will try that tomorrow day time, would that be a diff/axle problem or a transfer case problem if it didn't work though?...
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
EverAngelo
1999 WJ 

Lifted the GC today all four wheels off, in 4p/t and 4lo in neutral and turned the rear wheels, both rear wheels turned as did the front driveshaft, however no movement from the front wheels ... so looks I have issues with the front diff!! super!! just what I needed!
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverAngelo View Post
Lifted the GC today all four wheels off, in 4p/t and 4lo in neutral and turned the rear wheels, both rear wheels turned as did the front driveshaft, however no movement from the front wheels ... so looks I have issues with the front diff!! super!! just what I needed!
Might be a broken half shaft. Pull the front cover and re-test, looking at the gears to see whats turning.

Typing on phones sucks.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.