JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Problem with 4WD (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/problem-4wd-1624553/)

EverAngelo 09-26-2013 05:29 AM

Problem with 4WD

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum, I've searched and cannot find anything which is similar to my issue.

I have a 99 WJ 4.0 I6 which I have swapped out the 247 for a 242HD, refurbished with new morse chain and oil pump. The problem arises when going to put it in any of the 4 drive options, 4p/t and 4f/t it drives but no drive to the front wheels. if then push thru to neutral and back into drive, it loses all drive, and sounds like a manual gearbox does when its not in gear properly, even though the shifter on the box is in the right position. Even when pushed down into 4lo there is no drive to the front wheels. Today I lifted the front end and spun the front wheel, in drive and 4f/t, 4p/t and 4lo the front wheel didn't spin on the other side of the axle, as it would on the rear axle... so I'm pretty much stumped! Any suggestions, is it the TC?... the front axle/diff?... (Just to add, I changed the oil recently in the front diff and all the pinion wheels are there as thought the previous owner may have removed them as messing about with stuff seemed to their forte! :brickwall )

Thanks in advance

Phil

Barricade643 09-26-2013 06:52 AM

With the grinding sound like you've mentioned, have you checked to make sure it's fully engaged into the 4x4 mode you've selected? you can adjust the shift linkage under the center console a bit and it may just clear that up for you.

EverAngelo 09-26-2013 07:35 AM

I have adjusted that when fitting the 242 from the 247, I've even tried selecting them with the cable detached and moved by hand into the predetermined point on the tc shift lever...

jclaudii 09-26-2013 08:33 AM

with it locked in 4x4 part time or 4 low, and if it is on jack stands and in neutral, the rear tires when turned togther should turn the front tires and vice-verses. When it is jacked up like that, you should be able to grab the front Drive shaft and twist and making all the tires spin. If it spins easily without turning tires, perhaps there are issues at play like a pinion with no teeth or something.

EverAngelo 09-26-2013 08:59 AM

Thanks for that I will try that tomorrow day time, would that be a diff/axle problem or a transfer case problem if it didn't work though?...

EverAngelo 09-27-2013 11:24 AM

Lifted the GC today all four wheels off, in 4p/t and 4lo in neutral and turned the rear wheels, both rear wheels turned as did the front driveshaft, however no movement from the front wheels ... so looks I have issues with the front diff!! super!! just what I needed!

narnwv 09-27-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EverAngelo (Post 16364305)
Lifted the GC today all four wheels off, in 4p/t and 4lo in neutral and turned the rear wheels, both rear wheels turned as did the front driveshaft, however no movement from the front wheels ... so looks I have issues with the front diff!! super!! just what I needed!

Might be a broken half shaft. Pull the front cover and re-test, looking at the gears to see whats turning.

Typing on phones sucks.

The time now is 04:38 AM.