3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeeples
  • 2 Post By sdjp

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-26-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
chipmills
2004 WJ 

'press down' ?

What does the 'PRESS DOWN' in Neutral function do for those who have Select-Trac? Reason I ask is two fold, One, I'm dead curious as you don't get this on Neutral with Quadra-Drive, and two, I'm going to do the 247 to 242 swap and despite everything that's been written about this subject and there is unquestionably a lot I'm pushed to find this 'press-down' function explained. I plan to just pull the knobs and put a selec-trac bezel onto my existing housing as others have done before me and on that front all I've ever heard anyone say is " be careful when selecting because there's no press-down to save you!" Heck!! Please someone, advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-26-2017, 02:17 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It is a safety mechanism so that you do not grenade your TC and/or engine and by mistake by putting the TC in 4LOW at some speed other than near crawling.
It is designed such that you have to intentionally put it in that specific mode by pressing down on the selector which releases the mechanical stop that normally prevents you from shifting to that mode such as with QD or QT2.

4LO is a super-low range gear and at 5K RPM, you're doing about 20MPH. So you can imagine the damage to everything if you were to use that mode at 40MPH. The press down mechanical stop is under the bezel area.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #3 of 13 Old 09-26-2017, 02:39 PM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

^ Yep.

As mentioned, it's a mechanical lockout to prevent you from inadvertently selecting 4 Low.

I imagine the reason this 'feature' is not on the 247 shift assemblies is due to the fact that you don't have to select 4 High with this t-case. Since the 242 has multiple 4 High drive mode you're may be more likely to blow past neutral if using the t-case shifter vigorously. The lock out makes you come to a complete stop prior to selecting this t-case mode.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-26-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
chipmills
2004 WJ 

Okay so that makes sense because I remember now how the 242 can be shifted on the fly unlike the 247 but does that therefore mean if a Selec-Trac bezel is fitted onto a Qudra-Drive shifter housing 4-low can not be selected or it can but you just have to be extra extra careful when selecting at anything more than a crawl?
post #5 of 13 Old 09-26-2017, 07:24 PM
wolf_7669
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmills View Post
Okay so that makes sense because I remember now how the 242 can be shifted on the fly unlike the 247 but does that therefore mean if a Selec-Trac bezel is fitted onto a Qudra-Drive shifter housing 4-low can not be selected or it can but you just have to be extra extra careful when selecting at anything more than a crawl?
You will be able to select 4low, you just won't have the mechanical safety that keeps you from shifting to 4low if you're going too fast.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_7669 View Post
You will be able to select 4low, you just won't have the mechanical safety that keeps you from shifting to 4low if you're going too fast.

Yep, the 'stops' for each mode are built into the t-case, not the shifter assembly.

I run my OE 247 shifter assembly with my 242HD with just the 242 shift bezel to show each mode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
post #7 of 13 Old 09-28-2017, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
chipmills
2004 WJ 

Okay, so just to make sure I'm clear headed here, to select 4-Low I'll have no safety stop to save me and when I do want to select 4-Low, do I need to be at a complete stand still or creeping? Trans in N or P or irrelevant?
post #8 of 13 Old 09-28-2017, 08:29 AM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmills View Post
Okay, so just to make sure I'm clear headed here, to select 4-Low I'll have no safety stop to save me and when I do want to select 4-Low, do I need to be at a complete stand still or creeping? Trans in N or P or irrelevant?
Trans in neutral for sure.

I like to be moving very slowly, like foot partially on the brake and creeping forward before moving from t-case neutral to 4 Low. I've found that at a dead stop sometimes the t-case binds and it won't shift into 4 Low very smoothly or fully engage.

Each one is a little different, so play around with it a bit and see what works best for your t-case.

Quote:
post #9 of 13 Old 09-28-2017, 01:05 PM
RoysJeep

2004 WJ 

While on this subject I also have a question regarding the mechanism,

Is it normal for the shift lever to not want to go back past neutral once the transfer case is in 4lo? Last time I tried this, I did have my transmission in neutral and selecting 4lo wasn't too difficult, but getting out of 4lo was very difficult.

2004 WJ Laredo, 4.0, 197,xxx miles and counting, 3:55 gears, D30/D35c. Stock for now
post #10 of 13 Old 09-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

^ Probably the t-case binding up a bit. Try rolling forward a bit with the wheels straight ahead and shift out of 4 Low. If it is still difficult to shift, try it while slowly moving forward.
RoysJeep likes this.

Quote:
post #11 of 13 Old 09-28-2017, 03:20 PM
sdjp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoysJeep
While on this subject I also have a question regarding the mechanism, Is it normal for the shift lever to not want to go back past neutral once the transfer case is in 4lo? Last time I tried this, I did have my transmission in neutral and selecting 4lo wasn't too difficult, but getting out of 4lo was very difficult.
I've had my 02' WJ for 140k miles, since it was only 2 years old. It's always been somewhat tough getting it out of 4low. I never questioned it as the system always works flawlessly. I like the old school levers instead of the new school fly by wire or push button or even worse completely automated systems.
04GCWJfreedom and RoysJeep like this.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-28-2017, 09:05 PM
RoysJeep

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
^ Probably the t-case binding up a bit. Try rolling forward a bit with the wheels straight ahead and shift out of 4 Low. If it is still difficult to shift, try it while slowly moving forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjp View Post
I've had my 02' WJ for 140k miles, since it was only 2 years old. It's always been somewhat tough getting it out of 4low. I never questioned it as the system always works flawlessly. I like the old school levers instead of the new school fly by wire or push button or even worse completely automated systems.
I'll give it a shot this weekend when I finally get the chance to look at my HVAC.

And I definitely agree about the old school levers. One less thing to worry about failing.

2004 WJ Laredo, 4.0, 197,xxx miles and counting, 3:55 gears, D30/D35c. Stock for now
post #13 of 13 Old 09-29-2017, 07:52 PM
RoysJeep

2004 WJ 

Gave it a try in my driveway tonight and after putting it in 4lo I idled forward 15ft and back 15ft and tried putting in back in 2wd. Still gave me a hard time, but not like the last time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.