Power Window Module? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
mreilly
2000 WJ 

Power Window Module?

Hello,
I worked for G.M. most all of my life so I'm still temporarily ignorant of Jeep things.

My daughter's fiance took this 2000 Grand Cherokee to Midas [of all places] to have the inoperative power windows looked at. The cost was $80.00 to tell him it needed a power window module which is supposed to be located inside the driver's door. I've been looking all over online for such a module and come up empty. Could they possibly mean a body module which would be located elsewhere? Any help would be extremely appreciated!

T'care,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 01:37 PM
WJeff
2001 WJ 

It probably the regulator. This is a common failure. It's a cable system and the plastic anchor for the cable breaks off. Take a look here: RockAuto Parts Catalog

WJeff
01 GC Ltd 4.7L
post #3 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 01:40 PM
WJeff
2001 WJ 

The link I pasted was to the part but I see it just posted for the whole catalog. Go under Jeep and when you select year, model and engine - look under body-interior

WJeff
01 GC Ltd 4.7L

post #4 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

does he push the button and absolutely nothing happens or does it make clicking or grinding noises? the regulators are very common problems on these cars! i have changed one on my 01 and prob will change one on my 00 too. we carry them also and they have a lifetime warranty!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Window Regulator at 1AAuto.com
post #5 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
mreilly
2000 WJ 

No there is no mechanical movement at all. It's definitely electrical and has been only working on and off for the last couple months; first one window, then another. Now it's just dead all the time. They told him it has power going into the module but nothing coming out.
Thanks,
Mike
post #6 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
mreilly
2000 WJ 

P.S. They were also told that the "module" is not available in the aftermarket; dealer only [400.00!]. Also, that there is a waiting list for them at the dealer as they fail so often, keeping them in stock is a problem. Does any of this ring true to you folks?
Thanks,
Mike
post #7 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 PM
JS97ZJ
2004 WJ 

Do a search for power window switch at this site or go to your nearest JY

http://www.car-part.com/

Prices start at around 40-70.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
mverne
2000 WJ 

If it's the window motor, they are attached to the regulator and I believe must be changed as a whole...
I got mine here...
AM Autoparts - After Market Auto Parts - Headlights, Mirrors, and More
Haven't had any problems with it for the last two years, and it was a real good price.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-05-2010, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
mreilly
2000 WJ 

Thanks to all of you for you help and input. Thanks also to mverne for putting me onto AM Autoparts. They had the exact switch we need for 65.00. Sure beats 300.00 to 400.00 at the dealer. We are happy campers!

Awesome forum,
Mike
post #10 of 16 Old 09-20-2010, 11:58 AM
mjw22
1999 WJ 

Sorry to hijack your thread mreilly.. trying to avoid starting a new topic! Would this fix help a driver's window that is very slow to roll down but rolls up just fine? Back window doesn't roll down at all, so I'm assuming this will take care of that too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-of-Beast View Post
- Nice interior - because surviving a zombie apocalypse doesn't have to be uncomfortable
♦ Lady Jeeper ♦
1999 4.7L WJ Limited || 1997 4.0L TJ Sahara || 1998 2.5L TJ SE || 1994 5.2L ZJ || 1989 2.5L YJ
post #11 of 16 Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
mreilly
2000 WJ 

mjw22,
That's OK. Happy to help if I can.

The thing about window switches is that they either complete the connection or they don't. That's to say, they work or they don't. Your rear window problem could well be a switch problem or a motor. You can check that out with a 12 volt test light.

As long as your front window works, although slowly, the switch out of the equation completely. The switch portion to that window is fine. If it's at least trying to go up and down, the switch has done it's job. For that problem I would look at a weak and failing motor or a binding regulator. Many of these have to be purchased as a unit and not sepatately. Check out AM Autoparts.com. Their prices are usually very hard to beat anywhere.

Good luck,
Mike
post #12 of 16 Old 01-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Wayno312

Hey mreilly, have been having the exact problem with my 06 GC. Did you replace the actual switch or the module thing that's inside the door?
post #13 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
mreilly
2000 WJ 

Hi Wayno312,
Well, this Jeep was a 2000 and yours is a 2006. Could be a lot of things different in 6 years. In ours, the word switch and module are one in the same. The one at the driver's door is referred to as the master switch/module. [It's still just the control assembly with all the buttons]. The 2000 had no other module inside the door.

In the end, our problem eventually turned out to be a broken wire in the loom/harness between the body and the driver's door. It broke from years of bending back and forth opening and closing that door in -20 degrees to +100 degree weather.

Bestalucktoyou,
Mike
post #14 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
mreilly
2000 WJ 

One more thing I should add. The module we got from AM Autoparts was the wrong one. It was listed for the Grand Cherokee, but was actually for the old style regular Cherokee. We ended up buying a used correct one online [turned out to be a good one too]. Now we have a spare whenever needed.

I contacted AM autoparts and they were really good about it and promised to fix their catalog right away. However, that also meant they did not sell the one for the GC; hence we had to get the used one. That was back in September of 2010 so they may offer the GC module by now.

T'care,
Mike
P.S. Just checked with them. Although their catalog is now correct, they still don't offer the GC module/switch.
P.S.S. We also bought an in-tank fuel pump module from AM last year for this GC. Great price; great part. Still working fine.

Last edited by mreilly; 01-29-2012 at 07:51 AM.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Wayno312

Thanks Mike.
I would imagine a lot of things changed in those years. My 06 has a box inside the door that plugs into the wiring harness which I thought was considered the module, but I could be wrong.
I was hoping my issue was a broken wire but I have not been able to find any. I'm going to fish around AM autoparts.
Thanks for your help!
Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.