Power steering problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power steering problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
mdrum93

2004 WJ 

Power steering problem

So my brother has an 04 WJ 4.7 and has recently gotten the power steering pump replaced with a new one by a trusted family mechanic and it was working perfectly for about a week. At that point it would immediately make a terribly loud whine at idle after start up, and now won't stop doing it. We checked the fluid multiple times and each time it is a milky chocolate color, which I have come to learn it means water in the oil. So we called the mechanic (who is 2 hours away in our hometown..were in college) and he said to flush it 2 or 3 times with some fresh power steering fluid. My brother went to advance and came back with ATF-4 saying the employee recommended it over normal fluid since it was a jeep for some reason, I wasn't there.

But anyways, we have flushed it twice with the ATF-4 and the problem still persists. I was wanting to see if anyone has had a similar experience so maybe we could fix this ourselves before we have to figure out a way to get his jeep back home over thanksgiving break. I would like to avoid driving anywhere it sounds way too bad.

For Sale: Rear D44a open for WJ
mdrum93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

You can not use ATF+4 in the WJ power steering system. Especially with the hydro-fan

From WJ Jeeps:

Quote:
Mopar®P/N 04883077 Hydraulic fluid / Power steering fluid (MS5931)
MS5931 IS THE ONLY FLUID THAT CAN BE USED FOR THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Important note:
The factory fill power steering fluid for all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees is a unique fluid, MS5931. ATF+4 (MS9602) should not be mixed or used as a “topping off” fluid on the Grand Cherokee WJ. All WJ models should be serviced using ONLY the special MS5931 fluid. ATF+4 is NOT an approved Power Steering Fluid and should never be used under any circumstances. Note that all fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.
Also sounds like you've got a bad pump or air in the system. Air will make it scream and bubble up.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

Buy Valvoline Power steering fluid in the blue and white bottle, Advance sells it and it meets MS5931. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/v...+stering+fluid . $16.99 for a gallon; order online and use code TRT30 for 30 off and pick up at the store = $11.90 for a gallon. Buy a $1 turkey baster and flush

And make Advance give you credit for that expensive ATF+4 they steered you to

Last edited by 99SK04GTX; 11-23-2014 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: add
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Jack the front up in the air and turn wheels lock to lock and push the air out of the system. Do it 10 times then let the bubbles settle and repeat until just a few bubbles or no bubbles and then start engine and repeat the lock to lock thing.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 01:49 AM   #5
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Jack the front up in the air and turn wheels lock to lock and push the air out of the system. Do it 10 times then let the bubbles settle and repeat until just a few bubbles or no bubbles and then start engine and repeat the lock to lock thing.
This, but when I did it I had the cap off to reduce pressure and facilitate the air's escape
Frambo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 04:00 AM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frambo
This, but when I did it I had the cap off to reduce pressure and facilitate the air's escape
Me too.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.