Power steering loss - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power steering loss

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

Power steering loss

So....my power steering has been leaking which i thought was due to a bad high pressure hose. I replaced the hose yesterday which slowed the leak down but its still leaking from someplace.

I was driving the 99 Grand Cherokee today and all of a sudden, my power steering goes out. I check the fluid and it is full. No explosions, no smell, just loss of power steering.

Any help please? I need to drive this thing tomorrow and no power steering is dangerous on these icy roads...

(I was getting frothy fluid so i have bled the system which didnt fix the problem)

99_WJ_Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

Is there a way to test the power steering pump before i buy another one?
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
narnwv

2000 WJ 

My fluid was frothy when I changed my high pressure hose. Someone had put ATF in there, 'cause it was super red.

After the hose change, I took a hand pump and pulled out all the fluid in the reservoir into an old container, and then refilled with Valvoline PS fluid (meets Mopar spec). I repeated this process until all my fluid wasn't red at all.

Your fluid might not be red, but this procedure might help, as it'll only cost you 2 quarts of fluid.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
My fluid was frothy when I changed my high pressure hose. Someone had put ATF in there, 'cause it was super red.

After the hose change, I took a hand pump and pulled out all the fluid in the reservoir into an old container, and then refilled with Valvoline PS fluid (meets Mopar spec). I repeated this process until all my fluid wasn't red at all.

Your fluid might not be red, but this procedure might help, as it'll only cost you 2 quarts of fluid.
I didnt know about having to use special power steering fluid. So i used stuff off the shelf. Now that i flushed the system with the cheap stuff, do you think it ruined my power steering pump? Or do you think that if i drain and refill with the proper stuff, it will start working again?
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_WJ_Laredo View Post
I didnt know about having to use special power steering fluid. So i used stuff off the shelf.
It's not really that special. Just as long as you use PS fluid that meets Mopar MS5931 specs. It should say on the bottle if it meets these specs.
Crewdude007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewdude007 View Post
It's not really that special. Just as long as you use PS fluid that meets Mopar MS5931 specs. It should say on the bottle if it meets these specs.
This is correct. Valvoline is one of the few that actually say this on the bottle. I run all Valvoline oils anyway (except Mobil 1 in the rear diff) so I jumped at getting the Valvoline.

Unread 01-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
nickblack
1999 WJ 

The reason ur fluid was frothy was because you introduced air into the system when you removed the HP hose. It had nothing to do with the ATF-4, although that is not the correct fluid.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickblack View Post
The reason ur fluid was frothy was because you introduced air into the system when you removed the HP hose. It had nothing to do with the ATF-4, although that is not the correct fluid.
I am aware on both points, I was just explaining my process to him.

I didn't know it was even red until I pulled the old hose. I was just glad I had 2 quarts of the right stuff handy.

Unread 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

**UPDATE**

So i ended up going to the junkyard and getting a power steering pump with the pulley and reservoir still attached. Came home, drained the system, put the new (used) pump assembly on and flushed it again. YAY! I have power steering again! And no frothy / foamy fluid. Thanks for all your help guys!

I guess that during the time i had a leak, the pump sucked too much air and decided to take a poop on me. Also, i went to oreileys and looked for fluid that met mopar spec. To my surprise, the O'Reily's house brand of power steering fluid met the specs of the mopar stuff. And its like $12/gallon! Good stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.