Power steering issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-04-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
87thhunter
2004 WJ 

4.7l v8 2001
So I had a bad pump whine changed with another used same issue. Got a new pump it quit after 5 min. I then flushed it with 2 gallons of new fluid. Still had no power steering and I mean nothing.
Got a 2nd new pump flushed again and still NO power steering. I have now flushed a 3rd time and put a new gear box - still zero power steering, it worked before the new pumps just sounded HORRIBLE. I have bleed it I don't see any air/foam. The fan does seem to be working correctly I have had no overheating issues even idling for extended periods

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-04-2017, 09:46 PM
brekyrself

I have a similar problem. Original mopar pump would whine and provide no assist at idle. Once engine RPM's were elevated, there would be assist however with some nice pump whine.

I'm now on the 2nd reman pump from NAPA. First one lasted under 1 day of use. Second one now moans badly when turning left and will for sure give out soon. Be sure to use a P/S fluid that meets Mopar spec MS5931. Royal Purple did verify via email their fluid meet's and exceeds this specification.

Also, see this thread for pictures. It appears the regulator for the Jeep should have the large orifice opening to allow for more fluid flow. The ones I received must have a small orifice and are starving the pump for fluid, putting extra strain on the pump and causing it to fail within days of installation.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/.../#post37033330
post #3 of 11 Old 01-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Zombieslammed
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekyrself View Post
I have a similar problem. Original mopar pump would whine and provide no assist at idle. Once engine RPM's were elevated, there would be assist however with some nice pump whine.

I'm now on the 2nd reman pump from NAPA. First one lasted under 1 day of use. Second one now moans badly when turning left and will for sure give out soon. Be sure to use a P/S fluid that meets Mopar spec MS5931. Royal Purple did verify via email their fluid meet's and exceeds this specification.

Also, see this thread for pictures. It appears the regulator for the Jeep should have the large orifice opening to allow for more fluid flow. The ones I received must have a small orifice and are starving the pump for fluid, putting extra strain on the pump and causing it to fail within days of installation.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/.../#post37033330
I would flush the gearbox and make sure all the lines are not clogged, i had the same problem and i went through hell. Change the pump the lines and everything then i just said f it and the gear box. So after all that the gear box was full of metal shaving and i added a power steering fluid filter on the return line, sounds stupid but it works great for me i feel like it drives like a bmw now. Just gotta adjust the gearbox to remove the factory self steering play

Zombiekid
post #4 of 11 Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
87thhunter
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombieslammed View Post
I would flush the gearbox and make sure all the lines are not clogged, i had the same problem and i went through hell. Change the pump the lines and everything then i just said f it and the gear box. So after all that the gear box was full of metal shaving and i added a power steering fluid filter on the return line, sounds stupid but it works great for me i feel like it drives like a bmw now. Just gotta adjust the gearbox to remove the factory self steering play
Flushed 3 times and blew out the cooler - Brand new gear box and flushed that before installing. Same issue im starting to think these power steering pumps are junk.

As far as the orifice i have now swapped that with the old one and i have power steering if i hit the gas a little just nothing at idle
post #5 of 11 Old 01-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Zombieslammed
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87thhunter View Post

Flushed 3 times and blew out the cooler - Brand new gear box and flushed that before installing. Same issue im starting to think these power steering pumps are junk.

As far as the orifice i have now swapped that with the old one and i have power steering if i hit the gas a little just nothing at idle
I would get an oem one from a dealer if you can spend that money, or a non remaned, waaait do you have the v8 power steering Hydraulic fan combo?

Zombiekid
post #6 of 11 Old 01-08-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
87thhunter
2004 WJ 

Yeah I have the v8 w/ the fan - it works like 95% of the time now then suddenly it will just not work at idle for about 2 turns then works flawlessly again
post #7 of 11 Old 01-08-2017, 03:08 PM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87thhunter
Yeah I have the v8 w/ the fan - it works like 95% of the time now then suddenly it will just not work at idle for about 2 turns then works flawlessly again
when you say two turns you mean steering wheel?
post #8 of 11 Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 AM
acgenrich6777
2002 WJ 

I bought mine from XL parts here in Houston. I have the 4.7L HO with Hydraulic assist. *works but I don't like it. Don't get me wrong. I've had no problems with the one from XL parts. I would prefer to have dual electric fans.

So at the hydraulic solenoid sensor, unplug that and make sure you have nothing in there. Granted the hydraulic assist is on the bypass side of the power steering pump. However if the solenoid is clogged it may cause problems. I removed everything on my setup when I had to replace the PS pump and radiator. Figured why not? I'm there anyways. checked and double checked everything before putting it all back together.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 AM
OutlawDave
2001 WJ 

From what I've read on previous posts, there are 2 different PS Pumps ... one for those that dont have hyd cooling fans and one for those of us that do.

I seem to remember than if you have the wrong one, it will do as your describing

Build thread in JGC General Discussion Forum
RCLA on Clayton 4.5", Bilstiens, hidden winch
post #10 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 03:48 PM
phil04
2003 WJ 

This may not be related, but how are you priming the system? I have the 4.7 and my first replacement pump didn't seem to work...

It was only after I read about priming the pump first, with the motor off, that I finally got my power steering back. With the car off, did you jack the front wheels off the ground and turn the wheel back and forth a bunch of times, while maintaining the fluid level in the reservoir? Then, put it back on the ground, start, and cycle several more times. I ask because my first attempt at installing one of these resulted in no power steering... until I completed this procedure. Again, may have nothing to do with it, but since I just went through this, thought I would share.

Oh, and is the hydraulic fan spinning? A lot faster with AC on?

2003 4.7 4x4 WJ Limited. All stock.
Future Plans: 242HD Swap, Budget Boost
post #11 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 PM
acgenrich6777
2002 WJ 

I replaced my pump a couple years back. OOOPS, I didn't prime it. It works fine. No problems at all. I got mine from XLparts.com. Also, if you are priming and doing everything else. Jack up your front end. get your tires off the ground. With the engine running turn the steering wheel and have a friend help inspect all of your front end for worn parts. See if something is amiss and binding up on you.

If all of your steering components are working and not worn out then again, have a friend help you flush out the PS system with engine running. Start with disconnecting the return line at the pump. If there is fluid gushing out. Reconnect it and check the next line connected to the hydraulic assist. and so and so. One hose end at a time. use a clean bucket if possible to recycle PS fluid. That stuff doesn't grow on trees you know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.