JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Power steering hose help on 4.7 WJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/power-steering-hose-help-4-7-wj-1040416/)

GAWJJeep 05-27-2010 05:17 PM

Power steering hose help on 4.7 WJ

I am trying to replace the high pressure steering hose that everyone loves so much on a 2002 4.7 WJ. I have done a few of these things before, and never had one fight me like this one. It is the newest part revision from the dealer, (ending in AE) and the threads will not even come close to the fitting on the power steering reservoir. I have pushed, and pushed, but no amount of force is going to make threads that are not long enough (on the hose) reach into that reservoir.

Is there some trick that everyone is doing? How are the dealerships putting these things on? The threads are about 1 mm too short on this hose.

I have done a few of these, and it was a stretch, but nothing this bad.

By the way, everything is oem, and there is no damage to the pump, hose, or any of the threads.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

P.s. I did search, and read probably every thread available on this hose.

GAWJJeep 05-28-2010 09:48 AM

Any help on this?

sa863c 07-13-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAWJJeep (Post 9537829)
Any help on this?

Did you ever get this resolved? I just picked up this part for a replacement and now you got me wondering if I will have the same issue?

straty1987 07-13-2010 09:39 PM

ok if you put together the 2 bottom pieces first then you might have the problem due to that.

as i recall the simplest way to do it was remove the old hose and have a oil pan to catch the oil.
then for extra room remover the top radiator hose by the pump and connect that first then.
next screw in the bottom pieces and last pop them together.
will not sit like teh old one but close a tie wrap will help hold it in place if needed

then after your done fill the pump with the right fluid from the dealer only MS5931.
turn the wheel to one end and check teh resever and fl if needed.
then turn wheel to teh other end and fill if needed. reapper 2 times to get air out of system

rm2001wj 07-14-2010 10:50 AM

First get the hose from a dealership (expensive, but it will work) and not from a parts store (which seems to not work in most cases). Then read through this thread:

New High Pressure Power Steering Hose Help!!! - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

straty1987 07-14-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm2001wj (Post 9786311)
First get the hose from a dealership (expensive, but it will work) and not from a parts store (which seems to not work in most cases). Then read through this thread:

New High Pressure Power Steering Hose Help!!! - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

he has the right hose but needes a bit of info for the install.

but taht link is helpfull, i belive there are a few pics there about teh updated hose install

GAWJJeep 07-15-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa863c (Post 9783569)
Did you ever get this resolved? I just picked up this part for a replacement and now you got me wondering if I will have the same issue?

Unfortunately, no, I didn't. On this particular job, the hose simply will not screw into the power steering pump. (This individual hose, I don't mean every hose, and every Jeep out there.) It will go onto the pump, and the fitting will twist, and appear to be lined up, but it will not engage the threads.

If I get something to work I will try to update this thread, but to tell the truth I have been busy with so many other things that I haven't had time to work on it since I posted this. If something works for you, let me know. :)

GAWJJeep 07-15-2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straty1987 (Post 9784253)
ok if you put together the 2 bottom pieces first then you might have the problem due to that.

as i recall the simplest way to do it was remove the old hose and have a oil pan to catch the oil.
then for extra room remover the top radiator hose by the pump and connect that first then.
next screw in the bottom pieces and last pop them together.
will not sit like teh old one but close a tie wrap will help hold it in place if needed

then after your done fill the pump with the right fluid from the dealer only MS5931.
turn the wheel to one end and check teh resever and fl if needed.
then turn wheel to teh other end and fill if needed. reapper 2 times to get air out of system

I have actually done a few of these, but this one seems to not want to fit. I didn't assemble the bottom part yet, I started with the top. What is actually happening in my case is that the pump side fitting will go into the pump, but there isn't enough thread on the fitting to make it screw in.

Imagine if you had a 2 inch long screw, but only the top inch was threaded, and the bottom inch was smooth like on this hose. That is my problem here; because it is not threaded all of the way, it will not screw into the pump. It turns and turns.

Thanks for trying to help though guys, I appreciate it.

GAWJJeep 07-15-2010 03:09 AM

rm2001WJ: I saw that thread on JU a while back, and to tell you the truth it did a good job of laying some things out, but it didn't really apply much to my situation. It is a good thread though, and I appreciate you chiming in. :)

WJeff 07-15-2010 01:42 PM

My replacement went pretty smoothly. The new hose has a traditional flare and nut fitting but they kept the same internal O ring fitting on the bottom. Getting the top started is probably the most difficult. It's really tight with little room to turn a wrench. I think the key to getting it started is to attach this end first to allow you the most flexibility for lining it up. Once the bottom is attached and the hose is routed up, your ability to position the top fitting is more limited.

MarshMarlowe 03-01-2013 07:43 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm having the same issue... 2001 GC 4.7. I had a helluva time getting the PS pump fitting threaded, and when I do get it threaded in, it seems like it will not bottom out in the pump. There's about two threads still exposed on the fitting when it won't turn anymore. Here's some pictures of the fitting on the new AE hose and the female fitting on the PS pump-

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/s...gerThreads.jpg

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/s...1302282283.jpg

I know the -AD hose requires that you remove the "adapter" on the PS pump... would using the AD hose instead work?

OP- any resolution?

Thanks

adwsys 06-16-2013 11:26 AM

Same problem with main dealer supplied part

Hi All,

I'm having exactly the same problem with a replacement hose I got from a main Jeep dealer. My steering pump had been leaking slightly for a few weeks, nothing serious, but last week I was visiting a customer & when I came out I noticed a large puddle of oil under the jeep. The top seal on the hose had completely gone and the oil was coming out in a fine spray. When I got home, I ordered the replacement hose (at 105 GBP!), but the dealer had none in stock so I had to wait until Friday to pick it up. I started the repair on Saturday, thinking an hour would do it, but 4 hours later I still hadn't managed to get the replacement hose on. I phoned the dealer & they said that it is the correct OEM part & they have fitted a few without any problems, but I can't see how. My hose is exactly the same as the one in MarshMarlowe's photo and when I get the threads started they are too tight to turn by hand, and I can only get about one turn on the nut before it bottoms out.

As I see it there are two problems with this fitting:
1. The threads do not go far enough down the nut to allow it to get a good grip on the housing.
2. The threads are badly cut making it very difficult to get the nut started.

One thought I had was to grind or cut away the bottom 2mm of the nut, which would allow it to go further down into the housing, and would probably solve the problem if I could do it without destroying the fitting completely.

Anyone else any other ideas?

BTW, I also enquired about the AD hose & was told it is now obselete & cannot be got.

Andrew

MarshMarlowe 06-16-2013 02:40 PM

The hose fitting will not screw all the way into the PS pump. There will be a few threads left exposed. It looks like it's not bottoming out, but it actually is if you have it lined up correctly.

I boogered up the threads on my OEM hose, so I bought an aftermarket hose from Autozone, and it was a little easier to install and it works fine.

Here's my thread on jeepsunlimited.com
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=553185

adwsys 06-16-2013 04:56 PM

Interesting thread that, wish I'd seen it before I started this! :(
TBH, I don't think you can get an aftermarket hose here in the UK and as I'd already bought the Mopar one from a main dealer, I wasn't going to not use it. To get around the threading problem, I cleaned up the threads with a needle file. I then adopted my own suggestion and cut about 3mm off the end of the nut using a junior hacksaw, and cleaned it up with a needle file. It was surprisingly easy to cut, and although it took a while as I had to be careful not to damage the pipe, it was straight forward enough to do. I was then able to fit the pipe fairly easily, and the nut went in right to the end of the threads before tightening up. It was still a bit tricky to get it started, but once I'd got about 3/4 of a turn on it with a spanner, I was able to screw it in by hand, so I was sure it wasn't cross-threaded. I refilled with Mopar MS5931 fluid, & everything seems to be fine. :)

Andrew

Jeeples 06-17-2013 08:32 AM

The threads being exposed or not won't have any effect on the quality of seal being made, that's what the flair fitting and the o-ring at the end of the hose is for.

The time now is 12:40 PM.