Power steering - Hard to turn. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power steering - Hard to turn.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Reply
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Trixie369
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo
Posts: 45
Power steering - Hard to turn.

Hi! I might have some power Steering problems.
Its quite hard to turn the steering-wheel when not coasting.
Fluid level checked out, ok.
What should I check next?

__________________
" Jeep, Nothing above - Only below"
Trixie369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI
 
ezflip's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,023
Most likely an internal leak in the steering gear, at least, thats what Ive read on here. I am going through the same issues and am replacing the steering gear, all the high pressure lines, and rebuilding the pump all at the same time. Since Im replacing everything, unfortunately, I wont be able to pinpoint what the issue really is. Just doing an overhaul on the entire system.
__________________
~James

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series


Build Thread


ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler
 
86cj74.2L's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stouchsburg, PA
Posts: 7,135
I had the same problem.

Replaced the steering box. Which didn't fix it. So I replaced the pump. That fixed it.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,840
Typically is the steering pump failing, although not always. Usually a good place to start. Much cheaper than the steering box as well. Check through the steering system and hoses just to make sure there's nothing leaking at all as well, but sounds like you shouldn't be if the fluid level is ok.
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
MEinSoCal
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,425
my 2001 Limited is having this same issue. how difficult is it to replace power steering pump? anyone have a link or instructions?
__________________
Are you in SoCal? CLICK HERE!!
MEinSoCal is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,840
There's videos on youtube how to flush and get the air out which is what I used. The pump itself is really easy to remove. Remove belt, use holes in pulley to reach the bolts. Remove hose lines. Be careful not to break the plastic part of the low pressure side as its easy to do. When I replaced mine over christmas I got one with the reservoir already on it as its a lot easier for the wee bit extra I paid. I also put on a new pulley, but you need a special tool to do it.
Getting the pulley done was the hardest part. As well make sure you go to the dealership and get the proper spec fluid. Regular steering fluid is NOT to be used at all. Was actually cheaper than buying the regular stuff at crappy tire.
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
Trixie369
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip
Most likely an internal leak in the steering gear, at least, thats what Ive read on here. I am going through the same issues and am replacing the steering gear, all the high pressure lines, and rebuilding the pump all at the same time. Since Im replacing everything, unfortunately, I wont be able to pinpoint what the issue really is. Just doing an overhaul on the entire system.
Thank you 4 for the info))
__________________
" Jeep, Nothing above - Only below"
Trixie369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Trixie369
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L
I had the same problem.

Replaced the steering box. Which didn't fix it. So I replaced the pump. That fixed it.
Thank You)) I will go for your advice)
__________________
" Jeep, Nothing above - Only below"
Trixie369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Trixie369
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro
There's videos on youtube how to flush and get the air out which is what I used. The pump itself is really easy to remove. Remove belt, use holes in pulley to reach the bolts. Remove hose lines. Be careful not to break the plastic part of the low pressure side as its easy to do. When I replaced mine over christmas I got one with the reservoir already on it as its a lot easier for the wee bit extra I paid. I also put on a new pulley, but you need a special tool to do it.
Getting the pulley done was the hardest part. As well make sure you go to the dealership and get the proper spec fluid. Regular steering fluid is NOT to be used at all. Was actually cheaper than buying the regular stuff at crappy tire.
Oh, exiting!!) hopefully I won't brake anything..
This forum is grate! Thank you all so much for participating with knowledge to issues/problems that we newbees have))
__________________
" Jeep, Nothing above - Only below"
Trixie369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler
 
86cj74.2L's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stouchsburg, PA
Posts: 7,135
It was the most messy job I've done in a while. Totally trashed the garage floor at my brothers doing the pump. It was winter and he had heat.

I had tiny metal glitter in the tank while swapping mopar pumps.

Doing the below until we got tired of it..... So I started the engine for a second while aiming return hose in a bucket. To try and purge oil out of system. And that was after replacing the box a few weeks earlier and had a total fluid swap then too. Just starting and then turning off right away would all but empty the resivour. And it will splash out of a 3 gal bucket. But got the job done.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,840
We did in my brothers driveway at christmas. Yep, messy for sure! Since the fluid that was left, we had to flush out as well. Took two bottles to flush, two bottles to fill and still have two.

Still have play and steering doesn feel right, but at least I know it's not the pump. TRE's are the next thing I'll probably replace. Box could be an issue and did pick up another, which I hope is good. Just covering the bases easy/cheap to more involved.

As for the steering? Don't have to move the steering wheel very far to have it turn on me.
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie369 View Post
Oh, exiting!!) hopefully I won't brake anything..
This forum is grate! Thank you all so much for participating with knowledge to issues/problems that we newbees have))
Just take your time. That nipple breaking is a common issue as it gets brittle from heat of the engine. I got a new one with the pump so I didn't have to risk it. Also have to watch not to chip the pulley as it's hard plastic and can easily happen as well.

There's always a learning curve, as with everything, but the more you do the more you're capable of doing, and there's tons of info to help you along the way here. Cheers!
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Trixie369
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro

Just take your time. That nipple breaking is a common issue as it gets brittle from heat of the engine. I got a new one with the pump so I didn't have to risk it. Also have to watch not to chip the pulley as it's hard plastic and can easily happen as well.

There's always a learning curve, as with everything, but the more you do the more you're capable of doing, and there's tons of info to help you along the way here. Cheers!
Thank U))
__________________
" Jeep, Nothing above - Only below"
Trixie369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,840
Not a problem. Always good to share info! I know from friends having to replace the pump the things that can cause you grief doing it. Knowing them puts you ahead of the game.

Was have a good chat with a friend of my mechanics' friday. He works for a jeep dealership and works on jeeps mainly rather than other chrysler vehicles. Were talking about my steering issue, and tracking it down. Mentioned I had another steering box in case mine was bad. He was telling me they rarely go bad, and has never had to replace one. Typically the issues are TRE's and/or alignment which cause the most steering issues he sees. A lot of times, alignment is off, and not everyone who does them, knows how to do them right. Of coure he probably doesn't see ones that peopel push to their limits and are only DD'd.
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.