Possible Transfer Case Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Possible Transfer Case Noise

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 11-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Jerry1964
2000 WJ 

Possible Transfer Case Noise

Hello,

I'm experiencing what is possibly a noise in the Transfer Case on my WJ 2000 with Quadra-Drive. Looking over my records it appears that a service was skipped on the Transfer Case, the last being at about 87,000 miles. I currently have 119,000 miles on the Jeep.

I did some research on the proper fluid to use in the Quadra-Drive and then looking back at the record for the 86K service, the one used does not match what is recommended. It is my understanding that the Quadra-Drive takes about 2 quarts of MoparŪ P/N 05016796AB with no additives. What was actually added was MoparŪ P/N 4874465 Lubricant 1081090 which, if I'm not mistaken is a MOPAR Manual Transaxle and Quadra-trac Lubricant.

Given the above circumstances, driven about 32K miles with apparently the wrong fluid, should I expect noise from the Quadra-Drive and could this have possibly damaged the thing?

Thanks,
Jerry1964.

---------
WJ 2000 4.7 with Quadra-Drive (Delivered 12/30/99)

Jerry1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
bobknott
2001 WJ 

Change the oil as fast as you can. Mine had the wrong oil put in it & I got a knocking on tight turns.

As for damage ... yes it is possible.
bobknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Jerry1964
2000 WJ 

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

BTW, what have you heard about Amsoil ATH 5w30 being a good alternative to the Mopar fluid?

Jerry1964.
Jerry1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
bobknott
2001 WJ 

I hear lots of debate on oil types & brands. I don't know enough to be able to offer advice other than for now get Mopar asap & save the alternatives until you have more time.

If you are lucky the change will eliminate the noise.
bobknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknott View Post
Change the oil as fast as you can. Mine had the wrong oil put in it & I got a knocking on tight turns. As for damage ... yes it is possible.
I have a groaning noise on a slow, left turn, like when I am about to to stop to back in to my parking space. I don't know if it's my U-joint or what. I tried opening my window to see if I can hear where it's coming from, but every time I do, it doesn't make the noise. I don't even know if I have CV or U-joints. I think I have CV joints as I recall seeing the rubber boots. I have not really messed with my front end. I have always had Midas deal with it, as I don't have the correct tools.
I can check the oil level in my front diff. The people who I have change my oil are supposed to be checking the levels. Nobody has mentioned anything being low.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Big_Wall
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had the groaning noise as well, coming from the rear end. I originally replaced my front and rear differential fluid with Royal Purple with friction modifier. 4 months later the groaning started. I replaced the transfer case and front and rear differential fluids with Mopar fluid and friction modifier in the differentials. The noise was still there. I had the viscous coupler in the transfer case replaced and still had the noise. When I removed the front drive shaft the noise would go away. I had my WJ in a dealership and had them listen to what it was doing and they said that I needed to replace the carrier bearings in both differentials. Shortly after that diagnosis, the noise went away on its own. This all took place over the last year.
Big_Wall is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.