possible stuck caliper? pulls hard left when braking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > possible stuck caliper? pulls hard left when braking

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

possible stuck caliper? pulls hard left when braking

Title says it, my WJ recently got a 6.5 IRO critical path lift, and it now pulls hard left when I brake. It is aligned good, and everything is tight. When I apply the brakes, the harder I press, the harder it pulls left. It had this problem very slightly before but the lift and heavier tires must've amplified it, or it's something in the lift... I greased the caliper bolts, and it seems to have helped slightly, but it is still there. Does anyone else have brake steer or this type of problem due to the IRO long arm setup?
Anyways, main question, is does this sound like a seized caliper? it also pull to the right a little bit when I'm driving, enough to have to keep the steering wheel turned a bit while driving down the road. Any help? caliper seized? bad bushing somewhere? thanks guys

Unread 04-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

If you can find a parking garage to through it slowly with your windows down to listen for any grinding sounds, especially if it sounds like a caliper is stuck.
Mp5ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

no grinding sounds... I've been doing pretty much just that listening for anything clunking in the new lift etc. I can also freely spin both rotors, although one is a little harder than the other
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
oldfamilyguy

If that brake is on enough to make you pull it will be good and hot. You won't have to touch anything to know, just get close.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
dsodko
2002 WJ 

Wj

I had the same problem with our "02" after new brakes all around. Found Passenger side caliper just hiccuped when it felt like it !
After working on cars for 50 years, when the Jeep wants to mess with you, you learn to roll with it.

GOOD LUCK !
dsodko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
sage39henry
2002 WJ 

When its pulling hard, put it in park, get out and feel your wheels. I assume one of them will be hott as hell. Recently, my drivers side was so hot i'd swear i could cook an egg on her... Lift, bigger tires, heavier wheels and mud do not help your calipers.
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Overstreet
2002 WJ 

this happen to me on the front left I felt more load on the engine and it not getting to speed as fast. Then started smelling brakes. thought it was another car got off the main highway and then saw smoke coming from my front wheel. I now have akebonos up front
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
C101Commando

Heat is a great indicator of a stuck caliper, you might also try pulling the abs controler fuse to see if a messed up wheel sensor is unapplying the right side brakes. Free to check..
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Alright awesome guys thanks. It was way better this morning, after greasing the pins. Gonna tear down and clean my brakes, and bleed them tonight. Hopefully that solves it otherwise new caliper time
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
XHATCHx
2003 WJ 

Sometimes a caliper rebuild is needed. I did this a year ago and it's like having new brakes. Stupid pistons.
XHATCHx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Good habit whenever you do pads is to push the piston almost all the way out in the caliper and clean the boots and pins real good.

They get a lot of dust and dirt buildup around pistons and can cause sticking.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.