Possible module replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Possible module replacement?

Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
bmlucas12
2004 WJ 

Possible module replacement?

I was starting up my jeep, 04 Grand Cherokee 4.7 HO 253K, my fingers were greasy from the shop and slipped off the key before just before the engine started. Since then things have acted pretty funny...

It took a while to start after that probably a good 15 seconds of cranking, the odometer was flashing, the radio would cut in and out, and when i shut it off the gauges would twitch and sweep. After that, no power anywhere. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes, no troubles for a while. Then it would happen more frequently, now even when i disconnect and reconnect the battery i have no power. Every now and then i get power, ill turn the key over and have normal power, but it will sound like a dead battery. Battery is new and has proper charge, charging system is in order, and when I would get it started it would run perfect.

All i can think of that could cause this would be that i shorted out a computer, any other opinions?

bmlucas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

I'm thinking you may have surged the computer as well. The only logical theory I can come to... It's a multi system failure, all of which rely on that computer. Common denominator = computer.
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
bmlucas12
2004 WJ 

What would i go about replacing though? When it does decide to work, there isnt a single thing that doesnt work. Shifts fine, all windows, heated seats, etc work. I mean i drove it from Michigan to Ohio, a 200 mile drive, without a hitch. And that was after i disconnected the battery to try and reset things. It reset and drove fine for 3 hours, then i went to get food 20 minutes after I got into town and nothing.
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

If it were me, I'd get a new PCM. Though maybe someone else has had a similar issue and can chime in with experience.
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
bmlucas12
2004 WJ 

Doesnt the PCM control how the vehicle runs though? When I get it started there is absolutley nothing wrong with the car, drives like it has for the last 253,000 miles haha. Does the BCM control anything that has to do with starting the vehicle? Its weird, when the gauges sweep, I lose all power in the Jeep. No power locks, windows, radio, etc. which makes me suspicious of the BCM..
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
bmlucas12
2004 WJ 

Nevermind, locks and windows have to do with the door modules, correct? So im at a loss. When its dead, its as if I have a completely dead battery after the gauges act up but the battery is fully charged
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Could it possibly be some intermittent short causing things to just go erratic? Another thought, is there an ignition switch at all on the WJ? My old XJ had problems with it and once replacing was ok again. Not sure how it is setup on the WJ as I've not had to deal with it as of yet.

Probably not the issue, but would anyways clean the battery connectors and posts, and reattach them and ensure they're tight. As well, take off the battery ground at the block, clean everything and put back tight. They're known to cause issues and I've run into them before myself. Also check the ground from block to the firewall. As it's been said many times, strange things happen with WJ's due to power and grounds not being clean/tight.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.