is it possible to lift my grand cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > is it possible to lift my grand cherokee?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
dbollier123
2004 WJ 

is it possible to lift my grand cherokee?

i been told by many people i cant lift my jeep? idk y thats the reason i bought it. what can i do if i want to lift it. any kits or parts that u reccomend?thanks

dbollier123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

Yes you can...
image-2451434580.png  

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
roach68
1999 WJ 

There are many lifted Grands on this forum mine included. You can not do a body lift due to the unibody construction. Lifts are not cheap unless you just want to do 2" budget boost spacers. Check out Iron Rock Offroad and Zone to name a few. How much of a lift are you wanting?
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
dbollier123
2004 WJ 

ur jeep looks exactly what i been looking to do!!im willing to spend a lot . ive seen the boosters too but i actually want a lift. im really eager to do it. i have a completly stoch 02 grand cherokee laredo. im down to do like a 3 in lift around there
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

all I have suspension wise is a KOR true 2.5" BB, Up Country springs, Iron Rock Offroad adjustable control arms and shocks for the lift height. There was trimming but it was minimal because I trimmed smart and in places most people dont think of trimming first before hacking up bumpers. That and I have factory backspaced (or close to) wheels that require less trimming then ones that hang out more... putting thought into things before doing it helps. I wanted it to look functional but not over the top, it turned out extremely well and I'm very happy with it and how it rides and wheels too.

this is the pic i was trying to put on for the second pic but i failed

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
dbollier123
2004 WJ 

im looing on iron rock off road and i see that there is a 3 in lift kit for 500. then below i see long arm upgrades. is that to make a wider wheel base? also u said u did a suspension lift is that similar to this?and dont u get "death wobble"?
lift-kit.jpg  
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

long arms move the lower control arm mounts closer to the B-pillar, some kits you need to cut off the old LCA mount to accommodate the no location of the arms so its irreversible. I this that is not the case with IRO kit. It should make the ride quality better but i wouldnt do it for 3 inches of lift, infact i wouldnt unless it was 4.5 or higher. My lift is a short arm lift but i went with adjustable control arms so it would align the suspension and drivetrain properly. Most of the lift in mine is a BB or a budget boost, it is a spacer between the spring and the unibody, the other inch i have is from the UC springs I have. I love and trust Iron Rock Offroad, but I would pony up a few extra to get a kit with either adjustable control arms or ones that are designed for that size lift

Edit: just to add on long arms, ones like claytons have been know to do not so nice things to vehicle integrity.... the mounts didnt have proper reinforcements and crack in unibodies occured in some of them. not worth it to me. with 3-3.5 or higher you might be able to clear 32 inch tires with some minimal trimming depending on wheel backspacing and tire width

John Greenleaf Whittier
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue_WJ View Post
...Edit: just to add on long arms, ones like claytons have been know to do not so nice things to vehicle integrity.... the mounts didnt have proper reinforcements and crack in unibodies occured in some of them. not worth it to me. with 3-3.5 or higher you might be able to clear 32 inch tires with some minimal trimming depending on wheel backspacing and tire width
You've got to be kidding. If anything, Clayton's long arm kit design greatly increases integrity and strength by creating a complete subframe.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
dbollier123
2004 WJ 

oh ok well, just to sum it up what do u recommend i do and all the parts i need to buy. im sorry with all the questions but im learning.i know tires and wheels but if i get a lift how do i know it comes with everything i need?
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Crap all this time I had mine lifted and they say you cant. I better take off my lift kit right away...
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
Jason_alex
2001 WJ 

^x2
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
You've got to be kidding. If anything, Clayton's long arm kit design greatly increases integrity and strength by creating a complete subframe.
IIRC they didnt always include the subframe/rail sleeves.. a few unibodied jeeps were damaged before that was there and again IIRC one of those was a member on here with a green ZJ (although I think his was a RK long arm )... You could know this as you have been on here as long as i have. where I left the debate back in 2006 there was even debate if that unibodied jeeps could even handle long arms long term or heavy wheeling. While alot of engineering changes have happened since then the fact that not only does my Jeep hit the trail and it carries my daughter on a daily basis, so i would rather not over modify a vehicle because it tends to lead to failure and that a long arm for 3-3.5 inches of lift is a f-in waste.

John Greenleaf Whittier
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
roach68
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbollier123 View Post
oh ok well, just to sum it up what do u recommend i do and all the parts i need to buy. im sorry with all the questions but im learning.i know tires and wheels but if i get a lift how do i know it comes with everything i need?
I bought the 3" kit from IRO with the adjustable track bar upgrade and had them delete the shock option. I bought my shocks a little later from a member on here named Kolak, I went with the Bilsteins 5100's in the front and 5125's for the rear, well worth the extra money. It rides better than it did before i did any of the lift. I also replaced all of the coil spring isolators(8) while I was at it(also purchased from Kolak) Replaced all 4 tie-rod ends too since I had a bad one. It's all been on for about 150 miles and I havent had any death wobble yet. My front driveshaft did start making a noise right away so that is another expense to consider depending on what driveshaft you have stock. Mine is a U-Joint on the transfer case and a CV joint on the diff. side. I'd look to spend a minimum of $1000.00 to do it right, thats if you have nothing go wrong at all. If you have any bad ball joints, tie-rod ends, wheel bearings or control arm bushings you'll be greatly increasing your chances of death wobble. As for the long arm vs short arm debate is there even any one out there that makes long arms for a 3" lift? IRO kit is 4" or more.
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Just finished my 3 inch Iron rock lift. In my opinion the best way to go for a decent lift for mild to medium offroading is this: Go with the 3 inch lift from Iron rock offroad and get the adjustable track bar and bilstein shocks. Also plan on getting new spring isolators and I got longer front swaybar links. I added new front control arms lower fixed and upper adjustable. For tires I went with 255/70R17 falken rocky mountain at on 17 inch rubicon wheels from a 2007 wrangler. Be prepared for spending some more on replacing some worn parts. Although this setup rides great I now have death wobble so any worn or play in the steering linkage needs to be fixed along with a good alignment. If you have a cv style front driveshaft plan on replacing it for a ujoint style shaft. Also upgrade the stock rear swaybar to a thicker one like the addco bar for better stability. I probably have close to 2 grand invested in my lift and tires plus replacing worn parts so I would say for a 3 to 4 inch lift be prepared to spend so serious coin for a good riding lift. To me though it was well worth it. I totally love my jeep.
20110917_6.jpg  
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
WJ04
2004 WJ 

Yup they're right..you can't lift a grand cherokee

2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.