Possible Computer Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Possible Computer Issue

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #1
lal12
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Possible Computer Issue

Not sure what's going on with Jeep the dealer told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it but maybe someone here has encounterd this.

2004 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 Automatic- 66k miles.

Issue: Was driving in Massachussetts last week on a highway and I ran into some traffic. I slowed down below 10mph and as I went to speed back up my car wouldn't change gears and my temperature gauge went right to the red line but my engine wasn't overheating. I got home and the next day I took it to the dealer. They had it for 2 days and said there was no issue. I picked it up and later in the day the same issue happened except I could change gears but the car was very sluggish doing so and wouldn't speed up as well also the heat wouldn't come on. I got to where I was going and the temp. gauge was reading near the red line and the check gauge light came on but again nothing was overheating (ie no smoke). Then this morning as I came into a yeild as I entered a rotary and I hit the gas and my car woulndn't move, then after about 3 seconds it was like I was shot out of cannon and it sped up way to fast. It did this about 3x as I stopped at lights etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I'm weary to take it back to the dealer and pay the diagnostic again.

lal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
lal12
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ends up the head gasket is blown.
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Wow that was a quick diagnosis! Thanks for following up! Care to share how you arrived at that conclusion for future searchers?

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
lal12
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Jeep dealer said there was nothing wrong with it and it was just being finiky becuase of the cold but it kept almost overheating and limping along. So I took it to a friend of a friends garage and they thought it was a coolant issue 1. because the heat kept coming off and on and they noticed some coolant dripping and thought it might have gottten in the engine which was causing the overheating and blew the gasket.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.