Popped my cherry - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Popped my cherry

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 04-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
namtrah

2004 WJ 

Wj Popped my cherry

I owned a 94 XJ years ago and I miss that rig. I regret it going to the salvage yard as I sent it away with plenty of aftermarket parts on it...what a fool! Fast forward to 2007. Back from Iraq and needed a new Jeep in the driveway. The ex wife and I bought a 04 WJ Laredo, my current rig. The WJ has been flawless for reliability since 2007 until our divorce. After I moved out in 2012, the poor WJ saw no maintenance except for an oil change. By 2013, many parts started to show wear at 130k miles. I have dumped a lot of money into it and continue to move toward my goals with my rig. For now, I replace lots of parts that are just worn.

Today, I changed my first u-joint. Big deal, right? Well, I attempted this on my XJ and failed. I rounded off every bolt and gave up. I've learned so much along the way and now I have successfully removed my front driveshaft, inspected the rezeppa joint and changed the u-joint. I'm pretty damn happy and another new part on an already reliable vehicle. I'll add this experience to my book of knowledge pertaining to the WJ. Onward and upward as I continue to aim for a long arm lift kit.

front-driveshaft-rezeppa-end-t-case.jpg  
dana-30-yoke.jpg

Unread 04-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
thevanillaninja
2002 WJ 

Congrats on completing one of my most hated jobs on a truck. U joints are horrible unless you have a vice, press, and more patience than I!

There is nothing like learning while enjoying what you're doing. Continue on, next year you'll be rebuilding a diff or the engine or something else!
Kodiak, AK // MK2, USCG
thevanillaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
losttech

2000 WJ 

Its nice to know its done right and where everything is its a good feeling.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
namtrah

2004 WJ 

Wj Another chapter...power steering

Added onto my Jeep resume today. Replaced power steering pump and pulley as well as hoses. I also installed a filter and cooler to the mix. All went pretty smooth and the steering feels responsive again. The pump had been leaking and neglected for a couple years. Nice to have new parts and a new chapter under my belt.

Also installed new front axle shafts and wheel hub units the day before, smooth install with no issues except a little corrosion that PB Blaster took care of.

Still working on upgrading from a 2" BB to a 4" lift. I have to get springs blasted and repainted...rattle can rustoleum of course! Also will be installing a cabin filter to keep all the dust out. I certainly do enjoy completing mods or basic maintenance on my WJ.

Side note, that second pic of the axle shaft is not mine. I uploaded wrong pic and can't figure out how to remove it. Someone else's carnage.
img_485607044714502.jpeg   img_485610840867418.jpeg  
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
namtrah

2004 WJ 

Wj

Couple pics of old stuff before I yanked it out. Make sure you get the removal and install tool for the pulley. My pal decided to try and punch and busted my old one all to ****. Right tool for the right job. Also make sure you don't press the pulley on too far, it will not turn easy, thus no good. Ask me how I know
steering-box.jpg  
old-power-steering-pump.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.