Pop from Passenger window, now won't roll up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Pop from Passenger window, now won't roll up

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 06-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
justn
2002 WJ 

Wj Pop from Passenger window, now won't roll up

I rolled down the front passenger window today, and when I rolled it back up I heard a somewhat loud pop come from it. I stupidly started to roll it back down and when I noticed it was rolling down way too fast I let off the switch and it continued on its way down. Tried rolling it back up and it wouldn't.

Here's what I know so far, the motor still seems to work, I here it make noise for a bit when I try rolling it up or down.

There's a loose metal cable in the door, and I think that may be what the pop came from. When I lift the window up, it stops about 3 inches from being fully up and that loose cable becomes tight.

Any info or advice on what to do is appreciated.

Unread 06-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
offroading.net

2000 WJ 

The plastic bracket the cable ataches to has snapped, common fault. I think there is a repair to fix it but I had one go on me last week & I scored a new winder mech from ebay for 70 ($100ish) so just swapped the whole unit out.

1999 4litre WG Limited, 4"f-4.5"r IRO springs, IRO front long arms, IRO adjustable rear a-arm & LCAs, IRO adjustable RHD trackbar, XJ 242 transfer case, 3.91 Diesel Quadradrive axles, 235-85-16 Grabber AT2's Build thread

2003 2.8CRD KJ Limited

Previous Jeeps - 8 XJs, an MJ, a WJ, a TJ & a KJ

steve@offroading.net
www.offroading.net
www.rcmodelflying.com
www.oldchadscider.co.uk
offroading.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
1999wjlimited
1999 WJ 

Mine did the same thing 6 months ago I it was the plastic clip that broke. I just got a whole new window motor assemble for around $65 from autozone. It only took about an hour and a half to replace.
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
DDog1
1999 WJ 

Try Rockauto .com . Buy the brand with the lifetime warranty. Fairly easy replacement. About $60.00 or so for the part. The plastic parts embedded in the metal rail assembly are known to fail over time. Especially in the colder climates when the windows are frozen up and you hit the button. I've replaced both front doors a couple of times over the years....
DDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
justn
2002 WJ 

Thanks guys. Is the more expensive Dorman one that claims to be a little beefier than stock worth the money, or is the TCY brand ok too? The Dorman is about $65, and TCY is $45, and both say they have a liftetime warranty.
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
DDog1
1999 WJ 

I had used the Dorman brand. Can't really say which is better myself though since I've only used the Dorman part.
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
YZ212
2003 WJ 

Any one think that packing the plastic clip with jb weld or epoxy would help stop the plastic piece from failing?
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
DDog1
1999 WJ 

It might be possible to fabricate something or reinforce them, maybe a machine shop or metal worker could fabricate something...there are a number of nylon plastic parts interconnected/embedded with metal with these regulators so while the thought crossed my mind as well...I've just resorted to replacing them as they break considering the parts I have are now under a replacement warranty. Doesn't address the concern about when they might give out next but that's where I am at with these....
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
justn
2002 WJ 

Finally replaced the window regulator. Pretty easy fix. Just a few "how the heck does this work?" moments.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta replace the passenger front Window regulator. It broke last week. Not looking forward to it....
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
justn
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubalz View Post
Gotta replace the passenger front Window regulator. It broke last week. Not looking forward to it....
Its not that bad. Just watch the video 1a auto has: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGkPoOd2zi8

They go through everything step by step. The only thing that was hard to figure out was how to disconnect the window motor from the wiring harness. There was a red sliding lock that I had to slide, then push down a black tab and pull it apart. It'll come apart easy once you have the locking thing out of the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.