Play between steering box and steering wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Play between steering box and steering wheel

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
NV-ME10
2004 WJ 

Play between steering box and steering wheel

I have some play between the steering box and steering wheel. I can grab the steering shaft just before the steering box and rotate it about .5" each direction with out the pitman arm moving on the other side. I tightened the steering box up about an 1/8th a turn but I do not want to over tighten it.

Is this play normal or is this something I should be worried about? Should I continue to tighten the steering box an 1/8th a turn at a time until it goes away? Reason I am asking is I feel it might be related to a little shake I get right around 50-55mph.

98' Pontiac Grand Prix, too many performance mods too list, 480+whp SLEEPER
NV-ME10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.