pinion bearing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > pinion bearing?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

pinion bearing?

My 99 gc laredo pinion seal is leaking. After driving it for about 400km I could hear noise coming from the rear when coasting on the hwy. It does not make noise when driving for a short time. Is this a sign that my pinion bearing is bad?
The jeep has 243000km, bought it 1 year ago for $3700.
How much labour is a dealer going to charge for it? Is it worth getting it done?
There are other issues with this jeep such as airbag light on, engine surging during first minute of driving, O2 sensor problem, shocks and rear axle seals......

as350b3e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Axle seals are pretty straight forward, and makes sense to do them at the same time as the pinion. Is there play in it at all? If its making noise make sure you have fliud in and doesn't run too low. This could be why yiur hearing it. Had my one axle seal seaping but stopped. Will hav e everything done in a couple of weeks as its a matter of time before it leaks again. If the 02 sensor is bad fairly inexpensive to change it. Airbag couid be the modulke going flakey. Would say give it a good tune up and go from there. If its a 4.0 use champion truck plugs. They don't like the fancy smancy type.
As for dealership prices? Here in Ont. They're pretty pricey. If you can find a small honest shop that does good work, I'd say go there. I only go to the dealership on things I absolutely have to only. ,

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

I had the spark plugs changed at canadian tire. I think they used champion plugs.
The shop rate in fort mcmurray is a whopping crazy $200/hour.......
I am sure I can change the pinion seal myself but not the bearing.
Just today I had the windshield replaced at speedy glass in edmonton for $300.
Picked up a napa gold fuel filter today for $70 to see if it will get rid of the surging. I have a feeling that somehow the fuel pressure does not build fast enough after starting the engine. The surging happens only during the first minute of driving. Once the surging stops it has never done it again until I turn off the engine. It is also intermittent. Sometimes it does not happen for days and some days it happens a few times per day. It happens with a cold or hot engine. I cleaned the tb, changed the tps and also cleaned the idle control valve. Idle is at 600 rpm. When the surging happens and I apply too much throttle the surging does not stop and the check eng7ne light comes on, applying very little to no throttle will stop the surging and the the engine runs just fine.......
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

That's insane! I thought here was bad. That's like double! What code does it throw? Might help track down the issue.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

The code is P0138.
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...or-2-a-767077/

Unread 04-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

The rear pinion yoke is tight with no radial play. The rear diff had enough fluid and I filled it up again (2 large syringes were needed).
OK the check engine light comes on and then goes out again. Is that normal? If so how many starts or starts/engine running duration is needed for the light to go out?
In the beginning I had only code P0138, 2 weeks ago I rechecked again if there is another code that came up and I got P0138 and P0141. The code P0141 code is now gone it only shows the P0138 code and then reads "done" (Odometer).
Can also someone explain how this O2 sensor works? I am not sure if I understand this correctly but is there a heating element inside? If so, that would explain the intermittent engine surging I have during the first minute of driving. Again the surging happens regardless if the engine is warm or cold.
Is the O2 sensor for sure bad or could something else trigger the O2 sensor code?
Any ideas?
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

I saw that CT was looking for a department manager in Fort Mcmoney, salary was something like $80k/yr. Now I know how they can pay that much!
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.