Performance cam for 4.0?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Performance cam for 4.0??

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
jusber15
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Performance cam for 4.0??

Well, after a lot of troubleshooting I found at least one bad lifter in my 2000 GC 4.0. I haven't checked cam lobes for wear yet but in the event the camshaft has to be replaced, has anybody used a bit of a performance cam before? I dont want to have to get computer work done or anything crazy like that. I know that the factory cams are pretty lame and a cam with just a bit more oomph can make a big difference. chime in, let me know what you think.

jusber15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I had to replace my camshaft and lifters shortly after buying my WJ as well. I wondered the same as you about installing a more aggressive camshaft but I never really found the information I needed. I'd be curious if there were a camshaft that would be considered an upgrade yet not be too aggressive for a stock 4.0.

Here's my write-up on changing out the camshaft and all the other corresponding parts:

Camshaft/Lifters/Timing Chain Write-Up

Good luck. I'll be following this thread to see if anyone else chimes in about the cam.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
jusber15
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, I read all of your threads regarding your Jeep and it helped me diagnose my issue. Turns out I have the same problem on the came cylinder as you at nearly the same mileage. 88,000 on crate motor. My lifter wasnt worn out like yours was, but mine was collapsing. I pulled the lifter apart to see what went bad inside and the inside of the bottom of the main lifter barrel had a really strange wear pattern to it and the bottom of the spring was just about worn through. Im going to pull the rest of the lifters today and start checking cam lobes to see if a cam replacement is needed.

Im looking at the CompCams X4250H. It says its a great stock replacement but in the notes on the specs page, it says that stock valve springs cannot be used.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ode=A6CAMSx4X4
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That was part of my issues... I don't know a lot about custom picking valve-train components and was worried about how many parts would be affected by switching to a more aggressive cam...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
jusber15
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I called and talked to CompCams today because I was getting really confused on their listings for the 4.0 on their website. Randy told me that they have a special grind camshaft for the EFI 4.0 but they dont sell enough of them to have them on the website. It doesn't even have a part number. He said that its a great stock replacement requiring no computer work, uses stock valve springs and is a direct replacement. $192.73 for the cam. Its a custom grind which will take 3-4 days to have made and about 2 days shipping he said. I went out on a limb and ordered it. I guess I will be the test dummy!!
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'm curious as to how this works out!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

cool...
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Nice, I'm definitely curious as well.
4Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
jusber15
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Im hoping to have it either Monday or Tuesday, have it up and running no later than Wednesday. When I get it going, ill post my results as well as the cam specs for you all to see. He rattled of some duration and lift numbers and I compared them to a listing I found of the stock cam profile and I think its going to work well. Not too far off from the stock numbers....just how I wanted it.

Once I went by the advice of the guy on the phone with comp cams. I was looking for a cam to put in my 86 chevy pickup that I used for hauling heavy loads. After I got it in, I could hardly get it to take off from a dead stop. The power range was WAY higher in the RPMs than I needed. I was pretty upset and and I let them know it. They exchanged the cam for a really awesome stump puller. Lots of torque.

Anyways, stay tuned for the results. :-)
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
backyardjeeper
1993 ZJ 

Ummm... Did this ever happen? Did you ever get your cam installed?
..().)..().)---).). 2-speed electric taurus fan. Neon injector upgrade.
backyardjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Trombly
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Updates?
Trombly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
jusber15
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, I guess I completely forgot to get back here and update with the results. After installation and driving for a week or so, I gave the camshaft a thumbs down. The idle was decent but seemed to hesitate quite heavily when taking off from a stop. Power increase was barely noticeable. It even stalled on me a couple times from a dead stop. Would I do it over again? No.
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
losttech

2000 WJ 

Bummer
Wow just realiized this thread is a year old.
curious are you still runing that cam and if so how many miles have you put on it?
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
akadeutsch
2000 WJ 

I think they tried to sell me the same Cam. He gave me a spec sheet. But the cam has no name/PN so it makes it hard to find people using it. Here is the spec sheet. Is anyone else using this cam and what do you think?
custom-ground-comp-cam-spec-sheet.jpg  
akadeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.