Part-Time/Full Time Mix Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Part-Time/Full Time Mix Up

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

Part-Time/Full Time Mix Up

i was driving on the beach earlier, and i always keep it in full time. after a little while i realized that my part time light was on. i looked down and the shifter was in full time position. i did reverse/drive and it didnt change. shifted into part time and the part time light went away! reverse/drive, stayed off. Shifter back to full time and the part time light came on. i left it in full time with the part time light on, and after a moment of driving it went back off.
what couldve caused this?

Mudered Out
steveridesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
narnwv

2000 WJ 

wet/tangled wire? Bad switch on the tcase?

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Iieyasu1
2001 WJ 

Mine is doing the exact same thing. i left it alone for a few days, im going to go test it out and see if theres any difference today
Iieyasu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

problem went away on its own for me
Mudered Out
steveridesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Iieyasu1
2001 WJ 

i tried mine today. Same results, lights showing opposite of what the transfer case is doing. Glad yours worked out though. I crawled under it, some little tube was entirely disconnected. I reconnected it. The wire at the top of the t-case wasnt loose though. Ill lift it up and get under it later on, try and see what the problem is
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Are you sure you are in fulltime when the shifter says so? Most likely you need to adjust the shifter linkage and/or replace the fluid in the tc. The switch that turns that light on is controlled by little notches on the shift plate inside the tc. As you shift, the switch hits a notch and turns the light on. Shift into fulltime, it pushes the switch back up and turns the light off. Its a rather simple design. But if it doesnt fully shift, the switch wont make it into the notch to turn the light on. Shift into fulltime and do some tight figure 8s. No binding means you have a problem with the switch itself. If there is binding, you arent in fulltime, you are still in part time.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
SteveK22
2000 WJ 

Wj

I replaced my front CV Shafts....put it into part-time/full-time/ then back to two-wheel drive just to test them (with truck on jack stands). Went into 4 wheel ok.

Now Part-Time light is on and doesn't shut off no matter what postion shifter is in.

Fronts don't spin when put in 2-wheel drive (when jacked up) but PT light is still on.
SteveK22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Iieyasu1
2001 WJ 

I put it in fulltime and did some tight turns. No binding and the parttime light was still on. So Ill definitely replace fluid in tc. How do i go about adjusting the shifter linkage? This is my 1st jeep and I dont wanna F*** anything up in the process of trying to fix it
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Iieyasu1
2001 WJ 

Changed the fluid In the tc monday. I listened and could here the click as I shifted through 2wd to 4 fulltimme. When I put it in fulltime, the parttime light came on flickered off and then came back on. I still had to do the drive/reverse thing to get back to 2wd. Should 4wd fulltime turning be as fluent and swift as 2wd?
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

You should deffinately be able to feel a difference between 2WD and 4FT. Hopefully it is simply a linkage issue and not something more involved such as the shift forks. There are 2 forks -- mode and low range. Ask me how I know...

this should give you some good info, both to adjust the linkage and troubleshoot other issues:

www.offroad4x4.info/4/NPNV242.pdf

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #11
Iieyasu1
2001 WJ 

Thanks. Ever since I changed the fluid in the tc everything seems good. I can now hear definite and solid clicks when I move the shifter and I have a friend look below and watch that the arm moves. I put it in 4ft today, did some tight turns-no binding, I can feel the difference and hear it as well...however the parttime light is on. And when I shift to 4pt, it goes off. Ive left it in fulltime all day just makin sure everything checks out. Light does not go away
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

ignore the light, if you can see the shifter position, and it's right, the light is just there for idiots.

it is a plunger switch and often gets stuck(4pt is a higher notch on the comb than ft). fluid will not fix that, nor will adjusting your linkage. ignore it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Iieyasu1
2001 WJ 

Thanks ratmonkey, lesson learned, will do

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.