Park brake hand brake lever question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Park brake hand brake lever question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 05-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
drystonewalls
2000 WJ 

Park brake hand brake lever question

Hi All,

I have had a look around this form but think I might be struggling with searching with the wrong words to find the right answer.

The park brake cable has broken on my 2000 Grand Cherokee it is difficult to explain but have found this youtube video that shows where I am at

http://youtu.be/f9ImvaSGVBM

I cant belive that the park brake works on spring pressure alone, I must have the mechanism wrong, Like I said, I just cant find a thread on it here, but I am sure there has to be one.

I have only owned the Jeep for 4 days, so sorry my first post here is one asking for help. I will join in more as time goes by.

Hope somebody can help.

thanks in advance,

Nigel.

drystonewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
CarlJH
2001 WJ 

that video is not very clear on showing how the handle works!
the spring is only there to take up the slack in the cable, that cable only goes as far as the rear seats where it splits to go to each wheel, there is a ratchet in the handle to hold the cable. if the cable is ok you will need a new handbrake i think.
CarlJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
drystonewalls
2000 WJ 

Thanks

The Cable has broken, but I cant see how it pulls the cable when fitted, I have tried to simulate a new cable by screwing an cable connector to the end, it is then just the same as the video, so looks like a new handle mechanism then?

I was hoping that I hadnt put it back together correctly and there might be a 'how to' somewhere here.

thanks for replying.

The handbrake mechanism looks like this, Plate 'A' is the plate that goes up through the handle and moves when the handle is pulled up, the plates marked 'B' are where the cable sits, there seems to be no connection between the two sets of plates and as per the Video, when you move the handle the cable just sits there, under the spring pressure but not moving a lot. I am guessing there should be some sort of pin or something connecting the two plates together so that when A moves, so does B

I dont want to go and get another handbrake if I am missing something here.

Thanks again.

Nigel
brake-handle.jpg  

Last edited by drystonewalls; 05-22-2011 at 09:49 AM..
drystonewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
CarlJH
2001 WJ 

I'm at a loss here as I haven't had to do mine yet. Hopefully someone who has will be able to explain it
CarlJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Check wjjeeps.com , maybe There Are some info there
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
rcking323
2004 WJ 

Same problem here. exact same really. I still have not found the issue! I figure that I'm just going to wait until its getting near my inspection and bring it to a shop at that point. trying to figure this out is getting frustrating, ill let them do it, lol.
rcking323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
Haydz_b

Hand Brake Fix - It's so simple it took me 3 hours to figure it out!

Just a quick note. I have noticed that there are a few questions on the hand brake ratchet not working when the new cable has been fitted. The reason is that the teeth of the ratchet are missing the ratchet pin head by about 5mm. Here's the fix;

1. Back off the cable at the equalizer to give you a bit of extra slack in the line
2. Rotate the ratchet attached to the cable forward until you hear a click
3. Lever the cable back onto the equalizer using a screwdriver
4. Ratchet up the hand brake

That's about it. It's quite a simple fix, but very frustrating to spot as the teeth of the ratchet are hidden behind the hand brake handle cover.

I hope you find this information handy and you don't pour over the net for hours trying to find the solution when it's not clearly there, like I did.
Haydz_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.