Palbo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Palbo

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 10-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
palbo
2004 ZJ 

Palbo

I was checking the forums to find another thread on a non-brake related noise source. I started getting a clanking sound-not squealing or grinding usually associated with brake component failure. I replaced the front pads just to see what would happen. Nothing. Rotor is in fine shape. Smooth, clean, no pits, no excesive wear. I did find that the lower driver side slide pin was rusted, coroded and frozen in place. So I thought "there's the problem". Got the rust off, lightly sanded the pin OD, and used a rifle-bore brush to clean out the pin bushing. Greased it with hi-temp. On the test drive, Boom. Same noise. I then though that maybe it was suspension problem. Loose ball joints, dry grease fittings, etc. Nothing there. I read a similar account and nearly everbody in the forum group thought the same thing: Differential u-joint problem, Imminent pinon bearing failure. Sounds reasonable. The clanking noise was coming from front u-joint. I read also that differential problems should be dealt with by a pro, and not house monkeys such as myself. your input would be appreciated.

palbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Like the thread title. Genius.

Remove your front driveshaft and take the 'ol girl for a spin. See (hear) what happens.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
palbo
2004 ZJ 

I'm underneath looking around before removing that front drive shaft, and I see that there is all kinds of play on both ends of the tierod, and damper moves easily as well. Lots of play on both. The U joint, at the front diffential is very sloppy also. It makes a ton of noise When I move it side-to-side. Also, there is no leak, or signs of movement or indication of bearing failure -at the differential where it meets the u joint. Could this be part of the problem??
palbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.