P1682/ battery getting drained - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P1682/ battery getting drained

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 06-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Prickett10
Daddy dubJ

2000 WJ 

P1682/ battery getting drained

Took a hunting trip (950 miles round trip) and on the return trip I started noticing I would have to depress the gas pedal alot farther to get it to shift into over drive. A little later I noticed my volt meter was hovering just above 10 volts. Then the check gauges light chimes. Continued dropping volts right up to the driveway where it rested. Dead. (side note, this was at night = dim headlights) the jeep started this morning * slow to crank* and jumped right up to 14 volts then slowly started dropping again. I checked the codes and pulled the 1682 code. So, any ideas?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #271 2000 4.7L WJ 2"BB, Upcountry springs, Limited Headlights, Black Cladding, Cooper Discoverers ATP's 265/75/16's, RC Quick Disco's, Akibono calipers, Moog TRE's
1980 Ford F100 4.9L I6 <------- My baby
Prickett10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
bradywgn71

2002 WJ 

P1682 - Charging System Voltage Always Low Conditions

Engine running at over 1152 rpm and the PCM detected the Charging system volts was more than 1v below the target value for 25 seconds (target value is 13.4-14.8v)

Looks like the alternator died. I'd have that checked since it's pretty much a freebie. I think the voltage regulator is part of the ECM. The only other thing I can think of that might affect charging is the battery temp sensor.

And of course.... check that your battery cables are clean and tight.

Batteries will self charge a bit when at rest so it doesn't surprise me that it had enough juice the next morning to slow crank the engine but then immediately started to lose voltage.
Unread 06-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
Prickett10
Daddy dubJ

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradywgn71 View Post
P1682 - Charging System Voltage Always Low Conditions

Engine running at over 1152 rpm and the PCM detected the Charging system volts was more than 1v below the target value for 25 seconds (target value is 13.4-14.8v)

Looks like the alternator died. I'd have that checked since it's pretty much a freebie. I think the voltage regulator is part of the ECM. The only other thing I can think of that might affect charging is the battery temp sensor.

And of course.... check that your battery cables are clean and tight.

Batteries will self charge a bit when at rest so it doesn't surprise me that it had enough juice the next morning to slow crank the engine but then immediately started to lose voltage.
Gave the alt a good ole love tap then jumped her. I'm a lame a** thanks any how.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #271 2000 4.7L WJ 2"BB, Upcountry springs, Limited Headlights, Black Cladding, Cooper Discoverers ATP's 265/75/16's, RC Quick Disco's, Akibono calipers, Moog TRE's
1980 Ford F100 4.9L I6 <------- My baby
Prickett10 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.