P0320 code on 4.0 2001 grand cherokee laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P0320 code on 4.0 2001 grand cherokee laredo

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
CCWATTERSON
2001 WJ 

Wj P0320 code on 4.0 2001 grand cherokee laredo

My 2001 wj 4.0 engine ran fine yesterday. This morning I went to start it & it cranks, but will not start. I can hear the fuel pump engaging, so i do not think that is the problem. It is showing a p0320 code, which i have read is a bad crank position sensor (cps). I have had 4 back surguries & i cannot get under the jeep to fix this, but i have also read that i should be able to see the cps from under the hood. Can anyone tell me where the cps is located on a 4.0 if looking from the front into the engine compartment? Also, what does it look like? I would like to try to fix this without getting under the jeep. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

CCWATTERSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

It's near the top of the transmission housing where it bolts to the engine. I've never heard of anyone being able to change it without getting under.
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
CCWATTERSON
2001 WJ 

Thank you for your help rm2001wj!

I am trying to get a look at it, but everything is very tight & close to the firewall in that area. I will keep looking & I will try to feel for it to get an idea of what needs to be done. I have a great mechanic that will come to my house if needed to work on it, if I ask him, however it is a holiday weekend, so he is out of town.

If there is anyone that lives near Lancaster, PA that is reading this that can remove & replace my crank position sensor today, or tomorrow 7/4/11 in my garage, I would be greatful & I will pay you, because I cannot do it my self due to my back injury

Otherwise, if anyone has any other input on this matter, please reply.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Unread 07-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
wsar10
2003 WJ 

I just went through this a week or so ago, and IMO it's not worth changing even if you could, it's PITA and a good machanic will do it in an hour he even had to remove the trans crossmember.
It cost me 40 bucks in labor.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
CCWATTERSON
2001 WJ 

Thank you for your input "wsar10"!! You are right, I will leave this repair to someone that has done this task before & I know that my mechanic good, fair & honest.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my posting.
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
CCWATTERSON
2001 WJ 

Wj Thanks to all that helped

My mechanic replaced the crank position sensor today in less than 45 minutes & my jeep g c started right up. It took longer for aaa to tow it to my mechanic's garage than it took to repair the problem.

I just wanted to say "thank you" to all that helped me with this problem & i hope that i can help some one in the future in this same way. Jeep people are the best!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.