P0320 code on 4.0 2001 grand cherokee laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > P0320 code on 4.0 2001 grand cherokee laredo

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
CCWATTERSON
2001 WJ 

Wj P0320 code on 4.0 2001 grand cherokee laredo

My 2001 wj 4.0 engine ran fine yesterday. This morning I went to start it & it cranks, but will not start. I can hear the fuel pump engaging, so i do not think that is the problem. It is showing a p0320 code, which i have read is a bad crank position sensor (cps). I have had 4 back surguries & i cannot get under the jeep to fix this, but i have also read that i should be able to see the cps from under the hood. Can anyone tell me where the cps is located on a 4.0 if looking from the front into the engine compartment? Also, what does it look like? I would like to try to fix this without getting under the jeep. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

CCWATTERSON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

It's near the top of the transmission housing where it bolts to the engine. I've never heard of anyone being able to change it without getting under.
Unread 07-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
CCWATTERSON
2001 WJ 

Thank you for your help rm2001wj!

I am trying to get a look at it, but everything is very tight & close to the firewall in that area. I will keep looking & I will try to feel for it to get an idea of what needs to be done. I have a great mechanic that will come to my house if needed to work on it, if I ask him, however it is a holiday weekend, so he is out of town.

If there is anyone that lives near Lancaster, PA that is reading this that can remove & replace my crank position sensor today, or tomorrow 7/4/11 in my garage, I would be greatful & I will pay you, because I cannot do it my self due to my back injury

Otherwise, if anyone has any other input on this matter, please reply.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Unread 07-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
wsar10
2003 WJ 

I just went through this a week or so ago, and IMO it's not worth changing even if you could, it's PITA and a good machanic will do it in an hour he even had to remove the trans crossmember.
It cost me 40 bucks in labor.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
CCWATTERSON
2001 WJ 

Thank you for your input "wsar10"!! You are right, I will leave this repair to someone that has done this task before & I know that my mechanic good, fair & honest.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my posting.
Unread 07-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
CCWATTERSON
2001 WJ 

Wj Thanks to all that helped

My mechanic replaced the crank position sensor today in less than 45 minutes & my jeep g c started right up. It took longer for aaa to tow it to my mechanic's garage than it took to repair the problem.

I just wanted to say "thank you" to all that helped me with this problem & i hope that i can help some one in the future in this same way. Jeep people are the best!
Unread 10-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Brad2214
2001 WJ 

My advice, USE ONLY MOPAR OEM REPLACEMENTS

I wanted to share my experience the last couple weeks with this issue. I have 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L. 134,000 miles.

Jeep was running fine until 2 weeks ago I accelerated from a stop and there was a slight "jump" in my jeep. The check engine light came on. After surfing this forum I discovered how to pull the error codes (turn key on/off 3 times). I pulled a p0320 & p0700.

I drove for about 3-4 days and experienced an almost stall once and a while and the truck would "buck" a couple times. So, I followed up with the dealer to run a diagnostic. He clarified it was p0320 & p0720.

He diagnosed it as a pretty common problem with Jeeps and suggested a change of the Camshaft Position Sensor and the Crankshaft Position Sensor. After scanning this forum and countless others this seems to be the issue with most people that have similar problems. So I made an appointment for the following week to drop it off. The dealer said as long as the check engine was solid and not blinking it would be safe to drive until then.

Drove for the week. No issues. The check engine light actually went off for 3 days before reappearing the day before the appointment. The morning I was to take it in to the dealer the Jeep wouldn't start. This never had happened....it would try to start but just couldn't turn over. Towing to get it fixed was $200. Plus the dealer cost to replace the 2 sensors would be another $260.

I called a friend who knows his way around cars. He tries to save me a few bucks and swings by Carquest. He picked up the 2 sensors from Carquest (non OEM). 2 hours later he had the new ones in. We go to start it the Jeep starts (pretty roughly), the RPM's start jacking up and down for like 5 seconds and then the car stalled out. We tried again to start it and nothing. Again it tries to start but it just won't turn over. But the check engine light is off and the error codes read "done".

Frustrated I let it sit overnight. Next day I try and restart. It starts, I take it through the neighbor, it wanted to stall several times but I applied gas each to prevent it from doing so. I get back and turn it off and try to restart and again it just won't turn over. I Re-read through this forum and others. I see one common theme from some others that have similar issues. I used non-OEM parts from Carquest.

I phone my buddy again. We go to the Jeep dealer. Pick up the OEM versions Mopar part #56041584AF (CAM sensor) $39.45 and Mopar part #56028666AB (CRA sensor) $64.85. Swap out the Carquest ones. Install the Mopar ones. Truck starts up first try, no issues at all!!! All the error codes are cleared. No check engine light. That was 3 days ago!!! Been running perfect since then. Spend a little more and use the Mopar OEM parts and you wont be checking a dozen different things. Good luck.
Brad2214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.