P0161 Code- location and which 02 sensor to buy? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-20-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
2cflyr
2004 WJ 

P0161 Code- location and which 02 sensor to buy?

ok, so i did use the search function and it's still pretty vague as to the location and which one. from what Ive gathered from searches:

1- buy the Delphi as its OEM
2- they have different wire lead lengths
3- its in a different location on California cars- before or after the catalytic converter

so, I know that there are two in the exhaust runners right in front of the firewall, and there is apparently a third in front of the muffler.

the questions:
1- which is the right O2 sensor to get?
2- location?
3- why is there a different part/O2 sensor for cylinders 1,2, 3 and 4, 5, 6?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Garage
First thing to do before replacing any O2 sensors is to check your #16 fuse in the Power Distribution Center under the hood. This will be a 10 Amp fuse. Make sure it's not blown before replacing any sensors.

There aren't individual sensors for individual cylinders. On your WJ with Cali. emissions, there are four O2 sensors. Two are located on the exhaust manifold on the driver's side of the engine. Two more are located before and after your catalytic convertor. These sensors are labeled as Bank 1/Sensor 1, or Bank 1/Sensor 2. Bank 1 covers cylinders 1-22-3. Bank 2/Sensor1 and Bank 2/ Sensor2 cover cylinders 4-5-6.

Your #1 sensors for either bank are up on the manifold. Your sensor 2s are downstream around the CC. Hope this helps you, buddy.

whispering spookily...." I see Grand Cherokees. I see them ALL the time...."
post #3 of 5 Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
2cflyr
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
First thing to do before replacing any O2 sensors is to check your #16 fuse in the Power Distribution Center under the hood. This will be a 10 Amp fuse. Make sure it's not blown before replacing any sensors.

There aren't individual sensors for individual cylinders. On your WJ with Cali. emissions, there are four O2 sensors. Two are located on the exhaust manifold on the driver's side of the engine. Two more are located before and after your catalytic convertor. These sensors are labeled as Bank 1/Sensor 1, or Bank 1/Sensor 2. Bank 1 covers cylinders 1-22-3. Bank 2/Sensor1 and Bank 2/ Sensor2 cover cylinders 4-5-6.

Your #1 sensors for either bank are up on the manifold. Your sensor 2s are downstream around the CC. Hope this helps you, buddy.
excellent. thank you for the explanation.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-21-2017, 09:49 AM
BDW
2004 WJ 

P0161 is bank 2 sensor 2. Rear cat, after the cat. Specifically "Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction".

Parts guy at the dealer told me they were all built with three cats and four sensors (CA emissions).
Attached Images

04 WJ 4.0/NP242, 3" OME, Bilsteins, 255/75/17 & JKR wheels, 44A, 4.56, ARB lockers, & more
post #5 of 5 Old 07-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cflyr View Post
ok, so i did use the search function and it's still pretty vague as to the location and which one. from what Ive gathered from searches:

1- buy the Delphi as its OEM
2- they have different wire lead lengths
3- its in a different location on California cars- before or after the catalytic converter

so, I know that there are two in the exhaust runners right in front of the firewall, and there is apparently a third in front of the muffler.

Thanks.
Sure you don't mean Denso brand rather than Delphi? Not exactly sure on the 4.0 but on my 04 4.7 Denso was OE and that's what I used as replacements.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.