p0051 causing dead battery??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 07-05-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
rcking323
2004 WJ 

p0051 causing dead battery???

Heres the story:
2 days ago, I let my dad drive my jeep for all of 10 minutes and as holds tradition (he has a knack for breaking vehicals) a check engine light came on after a year of no issues, lol. (I do realize this could not have possibly been his fault, its just a funny coincidence). After doing some looking, I see the code is for a short in the right upstream O2 sensor, though i checked all the wiring and found nothing to speak of in terms of insulation issues. Many people have mentioned, when getting this code replacing the 02 sensor didnt fix it, but they did have blown fuses, which i do not (the number of people i see posting this may just be due to the fact that they wouldnt post anything if replacing the sensor did work, lol). At this point I have the sensor and just need to install it when I have 3 seconds to myself...

This is whats weird. I have never had a single issue with my engine not starting due to a dead battery before this, however, this morning I went to go start the jeep and absolutely nothing happened, not even on aux did the radio come on. I opened my hood and found that the negative terminal was crackling. I procceded to take of the negative and clean the connection up. At this point the jeep just BARELY started with alot of hesitation. (i would have left it be if i didnt need to go to work)

Is it possible that the shorted 02 sensor would drain the battery this much in about 12 hours? It is my understanding that the 02 sensor circut is switched off when ignition is off (but i could be wrong). Or am I just that unlucky that these two things just started happening at once?

Thanks for any help
~Alex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Buddha_Kip

2000 WJ 

bout all i can help you with is to give you the diagnostics for it....better to do the tests than to just go blindly replacing things.

PIN connections -

1/1 (cylinders 1-4 upstream)

1/2 (cylinders 1-4 downstream)

2/1 (cylinders 5-8 upstream)

2/2 (cylinders 5-8 downstream)

Tests to perform (I'm still trying to track down the intermittent condition symptoms diagnostic, and will post that when I locate them). -

2000 WJ Limited - 2.5" Rusty's springs WAAG 1-piece front brush guard custom built WAAG nerf bars PIAA 580 lighting Custom Paint One-off Aluminum Treadplate Door Entry Guards & Rear Bumper Step
1986.5 Porsche 928S - 18" Moda MD1 Autothority Chips Rear Muffler Bypass Short-Shift Kit
Grease Monkey & HNIC @ Clasik Auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.