Overland or limited - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overland or limited

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #46
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderHound View Post
Black bear pass looks freaky scary! Did you run it with stock suspension?
No, I was lifted with the IRO 3" kit, but had stock rims and highway all-season tires. I would not recommend it at stock height. The "scary part" would probably be fine at stock height, but the trip up and over the pass requires some extra clearance IMO. The Quadradrive performed flawlessly; I ran it in auto AWD up and over the pass (!), and only dropped into 4 Low going down the switch backs...

To the OP, sorry for the hijack of your thread. I will say either the Overland or Limited with Quadradrive will not disappoint

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #47
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

I picked the 2004 overland up. It's a one owner fully loaded. It seems well taken care of. It does have 177k miles but don't show it. Has a couple bubbles starting on the rockers. I'll bring it to a shop to have it cut out and replaced. Motor is solid. Does need shocks. It does seem like it needs a tie rod. Has a clunk when stopped and shaking the steering wheel back and forth. I'll have to check that out later.
image-1040684235.jpg

96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #48
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

nice choice on the 04 overland. I love the seats and the only year with the round headlights.. And as long as the engine is taken care of.. It will last for a while. Just do all your fluid changes first off the bat
How I do anything is how I do everything
coopdc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #49
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Oh and most importantly.. Do not overheat it. Should run 210 or cooler
How I do anything is how I do everything
coopdc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #50
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Looks nice! Good choice on the Overland.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #51
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

I plan on changing it with mobile 10w30 synthetic. I'm gonna change out all the fluids ASAP. I think I'm gonna pick up some Bilsteins this week
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #52
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

Good choice on synthetic, why not, it's the same price because it lasts longer.. get an oil analysis if you want they are like 25 bucks. Welcome to the Dub side__EVIL LAUGH___
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100S♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12 sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #53
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

Cleaned the throttle body today, checked the plugs. Looks like someone recently replaced with Bosch platinum plugs. So that's a plus. Got the oil changed also. Found the cause of the death wobble, the pitman arm tie rod adj. sleeve was loose, tighten that up and seemed to tighten the steering up. Going to pick up some Bilstein 4600 shocks and hopefully get those in next week. The old blue Monroe's seen better days.
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #54
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Bosch Platinums are the wrong plugs for your Overland (and honestly, are garbage in anything IMO). Switch to Champion 3340 plugs ASAP as other plugs may cause engine damage (per Chrysler). They are on sale on Amazon for 1.65 each right now and are usually in-stock at Napa for $3 each when I need them.

The Bilstein 4600s are great shocks. Ran them on my ZJ, have the 5100s on the WJ.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #55
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Bosch Platinums are the wrong plugs for your Overland (and honestly, are garbage in anything IMO). Switch to Champion 3340 plugs ASAP as other plugs may cause engine damage (per Chrysler). They are on sale on Amazon for 1.65 each right now and are usually in-stock at Napa for $3 each when I need them.

The Bilstein 4600s are great shocks. Ran them on my ZJ, have the 5100s on the WJ.
Dude, I've been running Bosch Platinum for 2 years and they work great. My mileage wasn't effected by the change and I have no 'engine damage' from them. It's just like the stupid antifreeze argument. It doesn't make a difference in my opinion. I've ran green coolant and Bosch plugs with ZERO problems. Stores wouldn't sell you Bosch Platinum plugs if it caused engines to fail all the time. Use some common sense.
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #56
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer-Bear View Post

Dude, I've been running Bosch Platinum for 2 years and they work great. My mileage wasn't effected by the change and I have no 'engine damage' from them. It's just like the stupid antifreeze argument. It doesn't make a difference in my opinion. I've ran green coolant and Bosch plugs with ZERO problems. Stores wouldn't sell you Bosch Platinum plugs if it caused engines to fail all the time. Use some common sense.
Same thing with the regular fuel. I have been running regular fuel in my OverLand, and the OverLand before that with no problems whatsoever.

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #57
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer-Bear View Post
Here we go...

First thing you need to do here is realize that you can be held liable for bad advice you give on a web forum. If someone follows your advice and has that engine damage they can come after you. Which is why I am very careful to stick with OEM recommendations, especially when there's no reason to do otherwise. Chrysler specifically warns against engine damage on the 4.7HO using other plugs. They don't do that for any other engine or any other aftermarket part. Seems silly not to follow their advice.

In this case, it costs the same to do the job right or to do the job wrong. Buy the right plugs for $3 or the Bosch plugs for $3. Why not buy the right ones? Same for Antifreeze. Does the extra $2/gallon (every 5 years!) break the bank? And yes, it DOES matter because the green antifreeze contains silicates that your water pump will not agree with. The aluminum heads, water pump, timing cover, and radiator will slowly be etched by the green antifreeze because it does not have the corrosion resistant properties of the HOAT coolant that is required.

Again, why use the wrong product when the right product is the same price? I'm not saying that Chrysler is the all-seeing all-knowing auto manufacturer, but I trust the service manual a lot more than I trust you.

"Stores wouldn't sell you Bosch Platinum plugs if it caused engines to fail all the time." - Stores actually sell all kinds of detrimental products. It's up to the buyer to be informed enough to know what to buy. Remember ZMax? Huge class action lawsuit. Slick50 engine treatments? Treatments with Teflon? Teflon is a SOLID that does not belong suspended in your motor oil. The larger pieces get filtered out by the oil filter and the smaller ones just circulate, eroding the soft metal bearings.

Lastly, like an idiot I have used Bosch plugs over and over and over because I wanted to believe that they were good - Bosch makes good products in general. My experience with their plugs has been negative on every single vehicle I have used them on. Misfire codes, dropping mpg, rough running. In every case I have gone back to OEM plugs and solved the problem. On my last BMW, I tried the Bosch platinums to save $6/plug and found that they wouldn't hold torque in the heads. The crush washers were WAY too soft and with thermal expansion they would work themselves loose in 500 miles or less. Retorque. Self-loosen. Retorque. Finally quit and bought the OEM NGK plugs and BOOM, problem solved forever.

*Exception* There was one car I owned that specced OEM Bosch tri-electrode copper plugs and that was the ONE car that ran great on Bosch - because they were OEM, and NOT platinum.

I'll stand behind my words and experiences and recommend only the OEM plugs.
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #58
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

I'll probably switch them out. It does have a slight stumble at idle. Where can one get hoat antifreeze?
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #59
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
Same thing with the regular fuel. I have been running regular fuel in my OverLand, and the OverLand before that with no problems whatsoever.

That's because the 4.7HO is designed to safely run on regular unleaded fuel. Premium is only recommended for peak performance or towing. Unleaded is not unsafe in the least.
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #60
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit84 View Post
I'll probably switch them out. It does have a slight stumble at idle. Where can one get hoat antifreeze?
Virtually anywhere. Zerex G-05 is the stuff you want and it's in-stock in every local parts store I visit. Your results may vary, but knowing the brand name might help. It's $2 more than Prestone Green whenever I need it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.