Overland or limited - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overland or limited

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #31
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

Right, have fun replacing sensors.

fosterjd79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #32
nitroboy88
2003 WJ 

Agreed not required but as in Many newer vehicles you will see an increase in fuel mileage with Premium. With ethanol in all of our fuel grades now Premium carries the lesser percentage of Ethanol which is less water to try to burn.
nitroboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #33
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterjd79 View Post
Why would you need to replace sensors just because you do not run premium? No reason as far as I can see.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
tigerfan2
2002 WJ 

The only sensors I could think of are knock sensors and they will be working the same regardless of fuel to make sure there is no spark knock.
tigerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #35
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterjd79 View Post
I haven't had to replace sensors in ANY of my Overlands. I mostly run regular, but occasionally put mid-grade or premium in it.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #36
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

I've burned out knock sensors and thrown codes with prolonged use of regular. I believe that if you buy a vehicle with an engine that "recommends" premium, then buy premium. That's what it's made for.
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #37
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Interesting. I tend to agree, however I also think it depends on how hard you are running the rig. Very casual daily driving and you can probably get away with regular grade octane with no effects.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
tigerfan2
2002 WJ 

Yea I mean I ran 87 for like a year and never had a problem then a knock sensor code popped up and started running 89 and it went away and hasn't come back so I think I just got a batch of bad gas.
tigerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #39
greenwj
2004 WJ 

I don't think the price difference between an overland and limited is significant, so I chose to go with an Overland. The only Overland features that really made a difference to me were the 4.7HO, Quadradrive and skid plates/rock rails. The nicer steering wheel was a plus.

I think if I were to do it over again I would just look for the best quality / lowest mileage Quadradrive model.
The HO engine sure is fun to drive, but it appears that it will be expensive to replace if it ever goes out. Rebuilt 4.7L long blocks are a lot less expensive. However, as cheap as these vehicles are, I will just run it until it dies and then sell if for scrap metal.

The only thing I don't like about the Overland is the Automatic wipers that don't work.
greenwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #40
Idano12
2004 WJ 

I've never checked my autowipers to see if they work, guess I might do that today. You do know you can turn them off in the evic?
Idano12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #41
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Actually like my automatic wipers . they work great. The only problem with them us they do one swipe when u start it up. Its ok normally. But when u start it in winter with 10 inches of snow sucks..I just turn them off in winter
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #42
turrillas
2004 WJ 

if you want the extreme off road and going to use it often, then go for select track, so you can have the freedom to select your hi or low 4x4, quadradrive only has All time, Neutral and Low selection. I have a 2004 overland, and love it, but in my case don't go that often off the road. so it great for the city and fits my needs, what are your 4x4 needs and make a selection that fits your needs or expectations!
turrillas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #43
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

I have an overland toy/dd and am off road all the time. I love the quadra drive and it has impressed lifted and locked XJ's and Wranglers over and over.
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrillas View Post
if you want the extreme off road and going to use it often, then go for select track, so you can have the freedom to select your hi or low 4x4, quadradrive only has All time, Neutral and Low selection. I have a 2004 overland, and love it, but in my case don't go that often off the road. so it great for the city and fits my needs, what are your 4x4 needs and make a selection that fits your needs or expectations!
Not sure what your definition of "extreme offroading" is, but my QD in 4 Low did great over Black Bear Pass. From what I know, the 4 low in QD is no different than 4 Low in Selectrac..

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #45
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

Black bear pass looks freaky scary! Did you run it with stock suspension?
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100S♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12 sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.