Overland or limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overland or limited

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 08-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

Overland or limited

Hey there, I recently sold my truck and I'm going to be selling my 96' ZJ and I've been looking into maybe picking up a WJ. I did read the sticky on what to look for and I have my mind set on either a limited or overland. I just wanted to hear some opinions on people who own these.

96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Overland if you can find one in your price range. It already comes with the Upcountry Springs and the 4.7L H.O. motor. Don't get me wrong, I love my Limited Edition but would have scooped up an Overland if I would have had the opportunity.
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I preferred an Overland, but I would have taken a Limited with an HO engine.
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
DavisI
2002 WJ 

I don't think that they always came with upcountry springs, but the HO motor is a plus. If limited slip differentials are important to you, the overland would be the way to go. You'll have a hard time, at least from my experience, finding a limited with limited slips or the HO motor.
DavisI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

I wanted Overland spec when I bought my CRD.......there were just none about. Of course ever since I bought my Limited I see the f**kers for sale everywhere!
Not so many differences between Overland and Limited over here on a CRD. They all get UC suspension and theres no HO diesel (pity!). Just rails and badges, two tone leather etc.
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

Is the 4.7HO worth looking for? Quadradrive sounds like it be a nice option to have. Is that system pretty reliable?
96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
JayhawkADV
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisI View Post
I don't think that they always came with upcountry springs, but the HO motor is a plus. If limited slip differentials are important to you, the overland would be the way to go. You'll have a hard time, at least from my experience, finding a limited with limited slips or the HO motor.
I recently bought my 04 WJ Limited. It has quadradrive (limited slips if you will) and the H.O. motor. Quite a few Limited's in my area (Kansas City) spec'ed close to the Overlands. I don't have the upcountry springs but pretty sure otherwise it's the same (or darn close) to an Overland..
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Really depends on what your ultimate goals and plans are.

If you want lockers, no reason to get the quadradrive
Do you want actual 4WD in high? Get select trac

Quadradrive is a very good system if it's maintained properly.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
JayhawkADV
2004 WJ 

If you want a V8 good luck finding one with Select Trac! I looked forever for one before buying mine. I figure I can always swap to the NV242HD transfer case to get all the options later if I run across one for a good deal.
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
DavisI
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkADV View Post

I recently bought my 04 WJ Limited. It has quadradrive (limited slips if you will) and the H.O. motor. Quite a few Limited's in my area (Kansas City) spec'ed close to the Overlands. I don't have the upcountry springs but pretty sure otherwise it's the same (or darn close) to an Overland..
I'm not saying that they don't exist, just that's its a relatively rare combo on a limited depending on where you live I suppose
DavisI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Jebby
2002 WJ 

easiest way to tell if it has upcountry springs?
Jebby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
evilcairn
2001 WJ 

Except the Quadradrive and the Motor , it's really the same thing .. i prefere the limited version ( with LSD @ rear) because he don't have many special parts of quadradrive..better and cheaper conversion to locker/offroad , HO less tough the LO version also. But the Quadradrive are magic in many ways ..depend on what you want ...
WJ 2001 V8 , 6.5" lift IRO , 35" BF , Front DS TomWoods mutilCV, Fender Iceland, TrueTrac Eaton Front, Gears 4:56 , Custom Front bumper, custom rock slidder ....
evilcairn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcairn View Post
Except the Quadradrive and the Motor , it's really tstronger.thing .. i prefere the limited version ( with LSD @ rear) because he don't have many special parts of quadradrive..better and cheaper conversion to locker/offroad , HO less tough the LO version also. But the Quadradrive are magic in many ways ..depend on what you want ...
HO less tough? Where did you hear that? The HO has forged internals which is stronger.
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
04KJlimited
2004 KJ Liberty 

get a selectrac v8 Laredo with leather, add the limited cladding, never have to deal with the automatic climate control(less)
04KJlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
JustStew
2004 WJ 

Love my Overland. Perfect mix of capability and comfort
JustStew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.