Overheating and limp mode - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overheating and limp mode

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Cdy291
2001 WJ 

Overheating and limp mode

Here's the details. 2001 WJ with the 4.0. Aftering driving about 15 minutes it heats up to around 240 degrees, according to my code reader. I assumed it to be correct because the engine seemed hot. I replaced to thermostat and cap, seemed like that fixed it, but didn't. Then I seem a bunch of coolant running out of the bottom of the radiator one day. So then I replace the radiator and water pump. I drove the on short 3 mile trips for a week after this with my code reader plugged in, never seemed to go above 203. Thought all was good till last night. I drove it about 20 minutes and the transmission went into limp mode, just like it did before when it got hot. I made it back home and plugged in my code reader and after it had been sitting a few minutes it still said 223 degrees, so I would say it made it to 240 at some point. Oil and coolant look clean and I don't know what else to replace at this point. Should I through a new temp sensor at it? It seems when the radiator heats up it also heats up the transmission fluid, then the transmission wont go into overdrive, at least thats what it appears.

Cdy291 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Do you have a tow package? If so, is your eFan working? Common issue with the 4.0. If not that I might suspect air in the system.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Cdy291
2001 WJ 

No tow package, and e fan is spinning.
Cdy291 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.