Overheating issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overheating issue

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #1
Texacali83

Overheating issue

HI! I have a 2003 Limited JGC inline 6. In the last few months I have had issues with it overheating. I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, thermo gasket, the hoses, the rad cap and the fan relay....TWICE on the relay. But my fan still for some reason isn't kicking on I took it to a shop last Saturday (that's when they said it was a faulty fan relay and replaced it again). They checked everything else and said everything was fine (checked water pump, and rad, thermo, sensor, fuses...we also hooked the fan directly to the battery and it runs fine) and sent me on my way after replacing the relay. The car worked fine...until this morning when I got stuck behind an accident. It got up to about 220 and the traffic let up and I started moving and it cooled off. Can anyone give me any more tips on what it might possibly be?! I am lost at this point Any tips would be appreciated!!

Texacali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

220 is not overheating

At that temp how fast was your fan spinning?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #3
Texacali83

I know it is not overheating.... But my Jeep runs at a normal 190. Once it starts going past the 210 point I know something is up. It eventually hit around 230 before traffic let up and I was able to drive fast enough to let the air cool it down. I am not sure how fast it was spinning bc I was driving and wasn't able to look before clocking in for work. My Jeep even in 110 degrees never ran hotter than 190 until I started having issues with it.
Unread Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texacali83 View Post
HI! I have a 2003 Limited JGC inline 6. In the last few months I have had issues with it overheating. I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, thermo gasket, the hoses, the rad cap and the fan relay....TWICE on the relay. But my fan still for some reason isn't kicking on I took it to a shop last Saturday (that's when they said it was a faulty fan relay and replaced it again). They checked everything else and said everything was fine (checked water pump, and rad, thermo, sensor, fuses...we also hooked the fan directly to the battery and it runs fine) and sent me on my way after replacing the relay. The car worked fine...until this morning when I got stuck behind an accident. It got up to about 220 and the traffic let up and I started moving and it cooled off. Can anyone give me any more tips on what it might possibly be?! I am lost at this point Any tips would be appreciated!!
Do you have a single electric fan in your Cherokee? If you do then this might be your problem. Look for my input.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/2...relays-773414/

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #5
Texacali83

I believe it's just the single fan.... And that link shows me how to replace the fan relay which has been done twice now =(
Unread Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #6
Texacali83

I'm also new to this Jeep Forum so please excuse me if I am going about anything the wrong way or if this is in the wrong area.... Trying to juggle work, the Jeep and looking for a new house! When it rains....it pours
Unread Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #7
jeepfvr

It's probably the fan itself going or gone bad. It is drawing too many amps and causing the relay to blow. I had to replace mine for the very same problems. I'll bet the fan relay has already blown again since it was just changed.
jeepfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #8
Texacali83

Is there a way to see how many amps the fan is drawing? A multimeter maybe? Not sure if that would work on the fan itself...
Unread Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #9
jeepfvr

Maybe make some jumper wires wire it directly to the battery and test the amp draw with a multimeter. I know some people wire them to the battery or wire in switches directly to the battery for the fan when they start blowing relays but I know that's not the correct way.
Is your fan coming on when the AC is running?
jeepfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I believe it's just the single fan.... And that link shows me how to replace the fan relay which has been done twice now =(
Maybe the fan is putting up too much resistance. Does it spin freely? Does it wobble at all?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:14 PM   #11
Texacali83

I haven't checked to see if it spins freely. I will do that after work today =) I was told that if the fan motor is bad it could be drawing too much amperage from the relay and to replace just the fan motor?.....
Unread Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #12
Texacali83

As for the A/c, it stops working as soon as the Jeep starts to go over 210
Unread Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #13
Texacali83

I think I'm going to just hard wire it to the battery for now and see if that clears up the issue.... well after work anyway. I don't know what else to do... It has water/ antifreeze in it and I've replaced everything else. :frustrated:
Unread Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #14
Brakeman62
2001 WJ 

Does that year have the coolant temperature sensor in the thermostat housing? If it does, it is probably part of the fan circuit. It might be bad?
Brakeman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #15
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
As for the A/c, it stops working as soon as the Jeep starts to go over 210
No, the A/C will continue to work if the temperature goes over 210. Had a few 95 degree days in traffic with the AC on and the temp occasionally going over 210.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.