Overheating at idle, white smoke on startup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overheating at idle, white smoke on startup

Jeep Brake Parts | Zone OffroadSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Wj Overheating at idle, white smoke on startup

My 04 with a 5.7 just recently started overheating while idling... the fan starts going super speed and the temp starts rising.

I just got it back from the dealer, where I had the starter replaced... it did not do this before. Related? Is there something they could have done to make it do this?

I also noticed when I start it up there is a ton of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. There seems to be less as the engine warms up, but there is still some visible white smoke coming out. This may have been an issue prior to the dealer visit.

I have also noticed a gurgling sound behind the glove box when first taking off from being parked.

All related? I've done a search and seen everything from burping the coolant system to a blown head gasket...

SOLD: 2001 TJ Sport
distantdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Additionally, after going out and taking another look - Looks like some genius put red locktite on the coolant bleeder screw, so I can't get that open.

I am also getting a lot of white smoke when I am revving the engine - this is with the engine fairly cold.

Unread 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
tonisius
2001 WJ 

Sounds like the thermostat isn't flowing... The thermostat should be connected to the engine at the lower radiator hose. It can be replaced, this can cause overheating as it wont allow the coolant to flow to the radiator to cool off with the fan at high speed.

As for the white smoke, is it really cold right now? Are you running low on oil? If it's cold, it could be condensation being cooked off, if you're running low on oil, it may be possible you're burning oil and could be a culprit of a blown head gasket, or at least a leak someplace.

For the gurgling noise, it is most likely water trapped, if it's cold, the drain hole could be clogged or frozen, this is quite common.
tonisius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Its about 46F outside... not freezing. Hasn't been freezing for a few days here.

I wouldn't think I'd be low on oil... especially after just being in the shop. You'd think they'd check that as they do a full look over on the vehicle... but I guess you can never be sure. I will check that next.

Odd that this is just becoming a major issue after just picking it up from the dealer yesterday.

As for the gurgling... I had been having an issue in the summer with the passenger floor board getting wet while running the AC... figured out the little drip chute had broken off and was allowing the water to blow back into the vehichle. I put silicon all around that drain hole and it fixed it... Not sure if that is related. Just thought the gurgling might be related to the cooling issue.

Unread 01-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
fastfreddie

Sounds to me like you ran your coolant low and the engine overheated. Now, you either have a cracked head or blown head gasket. Just a guess, tho'.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
distantdog
2004 WJ 

I don't remember ever having any overheating incidents prior to this...

Unread 01-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
86cj74.2L
2004 WJ 

[QUOTE="distantdog"]I don't remember ever having any overheating incidents prior to this...[/QUOTE

does your wife also drive the WJ?

Cold engine, pop the rad cap. If there is air there top it off Also make sure your expansion tank is at full. After you top it off cold put cap back on and squeeze upper hose to rad. You should hear Coolant pushing though the rad cap.

The red stuff on the bleed port on the 4.7 is thread sealer. Not lock tight. A beaker bar and correct Allen and it should come loose.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
distantdog
2004 WJ 

No wife here. Just me.

Topped off the coolant. Didn't seem to overheat on the quick drive I took. Still a lot of white smoke, so I dropped it at the shop down the street for a compression test.

I will follow up with results.

Unread 01-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
04itr
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Sounds to me like you ran your coolant low and the engine overheated. Now, you either have a cracked head or blown head gasket. Just a guess, tho'.
i second headgasket
04itr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Do you guys have experience with this problem? Did you have it repaired at a shop? If so what was the cost? Just want to know what I'm in for if this is the case.

Unread 01-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #11
04itr
2001 WJ 

My experience isn't a good one. I had the same exact symptoms you mentioned and I took it to the dealer and they said my car was fine. I while later my engine died (lost oil pressure and bent a rod). Now, i can't say what the cause of the issue was but I did lift up the car and found my starter drenched in oil and oil pouring out of the head. From the estimates I had looked up, a head gasket replacement is expensive. I don't mean to scare you with my story because your situation probably is different.

I would check the coolant IN the radiator, look for leaks, and just take it to a trusted repair shop (or more than one).
Unread 01-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #12
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Shop just called and said at the least it needs head gaskets replaced. Quoted me ~$2000.

Called the dealer to get a cost comparison, and they were at $2400. They said its rare for the head to actually get cracked, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Does this cost seem on point to anyone with experience getting this repaired?

Unread 02-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #13
04itr
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantdog View Post
Shop just called and said at the least it needs head gaskets replaced. Quoted me ~$2000.

Called the dealer to get a cost comparison, and they were at $2400. They said its rare for the head to actually get cracked, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Does this cost seem on point to anyone with experience getting this repaired?
That sounds a little expensive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.