Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

overdrive problem after 4wd swap

983 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  djc212007 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

so i bought a 2000 wj with 167000 on it here about 2 months ago, it was a 2wd but that couldnt last long, so i swapped it to 4wd, the donor was a 99 I6 4WD, i pulled the overdrive section and the spacer ring, the front axle, front and rear driveshafts and 242 transfer case, installed at my shop this past weekemd and when i installed the overdrive section i used the 2wd spacer and ring due to the spacer being the same part number as the 4wd, my problem is that when the transmission goes to downshift out of overdrive it shudders then downshifts the rest of the gears normal and smooth and it upshifts all gears including overdrive smooth, all my fluids are full and new as well as the tranny filter, my question is: is the ring from the 2wd a different thickness and is that causing my shudder out of overdrive, and should i just pull the OD UNIT and install the 4wd spacer and ring? also if i turn off overdrive it works flawless as well, please help as this is eating my MPG alive, other than that the 4wd is awesome in it, it works flawless as well, thanks in advance for yalls help

#5 ·
Ya unfortunately im just speculating here as well but im guessing a TCM Re-flash at a minimum would be needed. As far as the spacer, if they are the exact same part number they should be the exact same thing... You may try and call a dealer and talk to one of the techs about the necessity of a re-flash... assuming they know anything about it...

#6 ·
I don't think a re-flash of anything is needed to do the swap it really is that easy but I have read a lot about people having OD problems weather its the whole trans or just the OD unit from another year....some have problems others don't its 50/50 if you are going to have OD or not

#7 ·
Thanks guys, as far as the trans goes i did alot of research and saw that most people havent had any problems as long as the OD unit is from 99-04. I just hate having to start and shut the OD off everytime. A far as the spacer goes yes they were the same part number. That ring was the part in question, that is what i dont know if there is a difference in the overall thickness as far as thousandths. Ive found literature that says if the tolerances on the OD unit arent right it will act up. Im going to swap that shim ring out in the next couple days and see if that changes anything. I am hoping i dont have to get another trans. From what i read the internals are the same the only differences is the tail sections of the trans

#8 ·
I think there is some confusion in this as well. When you pull the OD unit there is a spacer an there is a bearing style shim ring. The shim ring is whats in question. The spacer is the same part number but the shim ring i have no clue if there is a difference

#10 ·
awesome, im going to see if swapping the shim ring and replacing that solenoid will fix this issue, im lost, also wjjeeplakestevens, where are you from there, i used to live in military housing off purple pennant road in lake stevens, before i moved to sc lol

#11 ·
There its a shim for the od apply servo and the thrust bearing that they all share. I didnt think the shims had the same part numbers for the different thicknesses. Should have measured it anyways. shims stay with the od unit, not the front half.

#12 ·
@RATMONKEY, that thrust bearing must be what im seeing than, when i pulled the OD UNIT there is a spacer and a thin bearing, shown below, the small ring is what im questioning.

Attachments

#14 ·
hey guys, sorry i havent updated, i pulled the OD unit out and found that somehow it slipped my mind to install the damn thrust washer into it, the OD does shift correctly now, but about thirty minutes after installing i now have a horrible shudder in fisrt gear if i get on the gas, it takes forever to shift out of second also, i spoke with jeep here locally and they said to change the transducer and the governer pressure solenoid.... im lost, i know one thing i hate the 42re for sure, i wish i had an aw4..... parts to fix my 42re are 180 something and i can get a boneyard trans for 109.50 so im just going to keep my current trans for parts and this friday i am picking another up, any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.