Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Opinions Needed On Front Driveshaft

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  MWF 
#1 ·
So I've got a 40mph+ moaning/humming thats gradually been getting worse, tends to be worse under power and when going over humps. Seems to come front the front left, girlfriend says she can feel it through her feet (rhd Jeep).

I've taken the driveshaft off and it's the rezeppa-rezeppa type, the boot at the TC end is damaged, you can see inside to the CV, and while it is greasy it's not exactly oozing with greasy goodness.

Driving the Jeep with the driveshaft removed results in no moaning/humming.

Would it be fair to say I've found the source of the problem?

I only ask because I've read posts with people saying the this only eliminates the TC being the problem and doesn't eliminate the front diff and dreaded inner pinion bearings.

You see, I'm in the UK and over here a CV rebuild kit totals to $380! Wish I was joking. So I'm talking to Carolina Driveline now about importing a direct replacement with the double cardon and u-joint. Given that I'll have to pay import tax, VAT and lots for shipping I want to double check I'm making the right choice to re-lubricate, stop the moaning and make my gf's ride a little smoother.

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds like you found it. or you can get a used Driveshaft from a 03 varilock that has a ujoint from factory. then replace both yokes for cheaper.

BTW on the RHD vehicle is the battery on the passenger side? can you snap a pic of the engine compartment? I know and sorry for being a little off track but I have been wondering if they make battery trays for the opposite side -

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Cool thanks for that - I have read that you just need to re torqe the bolt back down to where it was - a few folks have mentioned to use a marker on the nut and re tighten.

Good luck to ya and thanks for the info.

#9 ·
I just did this last week. I found a front DS off of an 04 WJ. I ordered the yokes and everthing I needed from Kolak, including a set of straps. Apparently you only need one set of straps and I found out. I removed the DS and then took everything to a reputable drive line place. Cost me $80 and away I went. I voiced my concern about the torque on the front yoke. He said they would do it right. I havent had this quiet of a jeep ever. You will notice a different vibration from the front but that is why they used the CV style inthe first place. I highly reccommend doing it.

#14 ·
If you replace yours with the rezeppa/rezeppa it's just going to do the same thing with any amount of lift on your wj. I had the rezeppa/rezeppa from the factory and swapped over to the dual u-joint just to find out either the pinon bearing in my front diff is bad or my transfer case. But my noise starts as low as 10mph, so hopefully yours is just the driveshaft

#15 ·
I don't mean to steal this thread but I have a serious question, It seems to me as I have a similar problem. I have the rattling and humming sound and it has gotten pretty bad. When I put my jeep up on the lift my mechanic said that it is probably the chain inside the TC and that I have to replace it.

The question I have is from those that had this problem or know the solution. Do I have to replace the TC ... used with labor around $450.00 or is the cause of my problem the driveshaft and there is a easier, cheaper fix?

#17 ·
Well after asking around various parts suppliers in the UK nobody is prepared to supply a new joint for less than £100 ($160).

Also reading around it seems export WJs did get the double cardan upgrade, I can't find any driveshafts that aren't rezeppa-rezeppa.

Plus reading through lots of posts on the subject there's little conclusion if it's the lift that's the issue or the reverse boot setup just being vulnerable to contamination and abuse.

So given that I do low miles in mine, mainly on road and only with a 2" lift I'm going to see about importing one of these cheap joint kits from the US, fitting that and seeing how long it lasts.

Took the old cv off today, even with the clip off it took some pounding to get it off the shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.