Opinion on Treadwright tires... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Opinion on Treadwright tires...

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue_WJ View Post
I'm gonna go completely opposite on this and tell you I havent gotten these yet but i've researched the crap out of them and i think that they will be great. I've read tons of posts on them and not one complaint on them from someone that has actually ran them that i can find. seriously thinking about a full set when it's time
I've actually owned them, and I've complained about them. Without blinders on, there are such posts. Most, however, do report positive reviews so complaints/issues appear well in the minority.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
TontoKowalski
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafe View Post
This is so true. Those who have owned Treadwright tires have done nothing but praise them. Even when something went wrong, people still praised Treadwright for having such amazing customer service and supplied them with new tires to replaced what was damaged. I've heard horror stories from other big name brands as well... lemons are out there.

I've heard many say that the 245/75/16 size is too big for stock. With the Wardens you have linked there, I can vouch otherwise. They were also perfect for my college budget!
So I should be fine with a set of 245/75/16's?

What do you typically spend per tire to get them mounted and balanced?
TontoKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
I've actually owned them, and I've complained about them. Without blinders on, there are such posts. Most, however, do report positive reviews so complaints/issues appear well in the minority.
what problems did you have?
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Snafe
2000 WJ 

I think you should be fine, but I have the Upcountry suspension, though, so that might make a difference. I have zero rubbing, even during flex. I think this is because there isn't much of a gnarly sidewall.

It cost me $14 per tire to get the tires mounted and a little extra to get balanced at Sears here in Las Vegas... I don't know if prices vary from place to place. I know some places won't mount retreads, so I just didn't say anything when I went into sears. There were no problems when balancing them either...

My Jeeps: a 2000 WJ Limited (4.7) and a 2004 KJ Limited
Snafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyviperx
Im glad to see a host of positive reviews without the "you cant run retreads blah blah blah" horse poo. I just ordered a set of the P235/65R17 Puma's an hour ago.
Because the people that understand have accepted the fact that maybe Darwinism should weed out the idiots.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #21
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
what problems did you have?
The "cap" separated from the "carcass". Before I get flamed as I usually do about this topic, I certainly concede that all tires (even new) may have failures. However, this particular failure is retread specific. In other words, the production process of 1st run tires does not involve capping new rubber onto a carcass. TW replaced the tire, so no complaints whatsoever about customer service. By all accounts, my experience was an anomoly.

Subjectively, the tires were a bit too "soft" for my liking. Sold them and moved on from retreads.

This was several years ago.

231HD build guide
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8

The "cap" separated from the "carcass". Before I get flamed as I usually do about this topic, I certainly concede that all tires (even new) may have failures. However, this particular failure is retread specific. In other words, the production process of 1st run tires does not involve capping new rubber onto a carcass. TW replaced the tire, so no complaints whatsoever about customer service. By all accounts, my experience was an anomoly.

Subjectively, the tires were a bit too "soft" for my liking. Sold them and moved on from retreads.

Even brand new tires can separate, the problem I have with tread wright is no matter how much "technology" goes into re treading it doesn't change the fact that you're buying a used carcass.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #23
fast540
1999 WJ 

I too had a problem (kinda) with a tread wright tire but they made soo right soo fast I'd chalk it up as a plus. The last set of 5 I bought one had a couple of misshaped tread blocks and took a lot of weight to balance I called tread wright to ask if this was a problem and the lady on the phone said there shouldn't be any misshaped tread and sent me out a another new tire. Didn't ask for pics didn't ask to get the other tire back just sent out a new tire. I've run treadwrights for years on the rear of 2wd buggies and about 20k in a 4wd jeep and they're great
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
Snafe
2000 WJ 

I love my Treadwrights, but I would buy a set of nicer tires if I could. If you're on a tight budget, treadwrights can get you a decent set of tires for less than half the price... They are far better than any new tires you can get at that price...

Unread 07-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #25
TimMcc

20k on my guard dogs. No issues. They are loud, but they're a good tire. Little sketchy in heavy rain. Id buy from them again.
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:

that makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

Out of my own curiosity, did it happen while aired down and being wheeled, or just normal psi/normal driving?
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post

that makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

Out of my own curiosity, did it happen while aired down and being wheeled, or just normal psi/normal driving?
My failure occurred just after several hundred miles, no chance to even hit the trail. Happened on the highway. When i pulled over, there was a molten hot tumor in the middle of the tire. Blowout and crash would have likely followed. Sold them once i got the replacement.

231HD build guide
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #28
Snafe
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Did you by chance purchase the Kedge Grip version or just standard?

Unread 07-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

I run duratracs but I went wheeling with a guy yesterday who had a 4runner with TW Guard Dogs. He had nothing but praise for the price. He does mostly wheeling so he said the noise/softness is not an issue but he did say they are there. We agreed that TW's are not Duratracs by any means but for the price, TW's sounded awesome.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.