only warm air from only one vent..code 52..need help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > only warm air from only one vent..code 52..need help please

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

only warm air from only one vent..code 52..need help please

Hello all,

My wifes heat went out on her 2000 GC limited with dual climate control...of course its 2 degrees here in Wisco right now. Perfect timing!
I flushed the radiator, put in a new thermometer, and flushed the heater core...no luck (radiator at full level in reservoir). I only have air blowing on the drivers side middle. Barely anything on all other vents and floor vents. Did the AZC self diagnostic...and no display until I released the a/c and recirc buttons...then got a fault code 52.
Does this mean I need a new a/c heater control unit...or is there something else going on?
I might add...on occasion..when turning the knobs on the heater control unit, it does turn off...I then have to press on one of the large knobs, or the entire unit, and it comes back on.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated...the temp could reach -20 below by morning.
Thanks so much!

brewcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
link375
2001 WJ 

most likely the one of the blend doors broke.

same issue that happened to me

link375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by link375 View Post
most likely the one of the blend doors broke.

same issue that happened to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4--v8t_p-E
Thanks...but what about the fault code 52 stating I need a new a/c heater control unit?
I just want to know for sure what would cause this before spending a lot of money on parts.
Is there something I can check that would make it known that the blend doors don't work? What if its just the actuator motor controlling the doors? That is only a $40.00 part.
Any help would really be appreciated!
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
fullsizejohn
1977 CJ5 

heatertreater.net
fullsizejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizejohn View Post
heatertreater.net
Thanks for the link!
I read through this...and it seems a fault code of 52 is a Re-circ door travel too large...which means (from the site) I need a recirc door replacement....is this correct?
Unread 12-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
reneveah
2003 WJ 

Better do the blend door fix as well Trust dont just do one of them
Unread 12-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneveah View Post
Better do the blend door fix as well Trust dont just do one of them
OK...your probably right. Thanks a lot to everyone!
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
xman2yman
2002 WJ 

Let me know how this works please, I have the same code except mine does blow heat still thank god but sometimes only one side of the center vents will blow strong while the other about half the amount of air speed.
xman2yman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
Thanks for the link! I read through this...and it seems a fault code of 52 is a Re-circ door travel too large...which means (from the site) I need a recirc door replacement....is this correct?
I have heard bad things about heater-treater blend doors having weak welds. They only weld the doors to the shaft in three spots, and break after a short while. The blendor store (www.blendorstore.com) welds their doors the full length of the door shaft, come with the cutting tool, instructions, and a switch to align the doors to the motors when finished. Go to the tech tip sections on the site, it will explain about what kind of problem happens. While you are at it, get the non-dash removal recirc door kit and keep the recirc door shut. You don't want cold air coming in when you are trying to heat the cabin. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
I have heard bad things about heater-treater blend doors having weak welds. They only weld the doors to the shaft in three spots, and break after a short while. The blendor store (www.blendorstore.com) welds their doors the full length of the door shaft, come with the cutting tool, instructions, and a switch to align the doors to the motors when finished. Go to the tech tip sections on the site, it will explain about what kind of problem happens. While you are at it, get the non-dash removal recirc door kit and keep the recirc door shut. You don't want cold air coming in when you are trying to heat the cabin. Good luck!

WOW...thanks for the heads up on this! I really appreciate it.
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Hey guys...I havent done the blend door fix yet as it has been ridiculously cold here in Wisconsin! Anyway...I have a question...when I drive the Jeep, I do get warm to warm/hot air depending on drive time. But when I have the vent direction knobs turned to head & feet...the windshield fogs up after about 3-5 minutes (recirculation button is on). I then have to switch the knob to feet and defrost (recirculation button automatically turns off), and the windshield goes clear. I then turn it back to where it was (head and feet), and turn on the recirculation button...and it happens all over again!
Any ideas as to why this is happening? Does this point to something wrong? This does not happen with my 04 GC.
Thanks for the help.
Unread 01-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
Hey guys...I havent done the blend door fix yet as it has been ridiculously cold here in Wisconsin! Anyway...I have a question...when I drive the Jeep, I do get warm to warm/hot air depending on drive time. But when I have the vent direction knobs turned to head & feet...the windshield fogs up after about 3-5 minutes (recirculation button is on). I then have to switch the knob to feet and defrost (recirculation button automatically turns off), and the windshield goes clear. I then turn it back to where it was (head and feet), and turn on the recirculation button...and it happens all over again! Any ideas as to why this is happening? Does this point to something wrong? This does not happen with my 04 GC. Thanks for the help.
No, it is quite normal. You defrost your windshield, then turn the heat to warm yourself up, the moisture from your breath, the respiration from your body, and from the melting snow on your feet is enough to cause to windshield to start fogging up.
It's actually a combination of the air and your AC that dries out the windshield. I just try to warm up the whole interior and keep it on windshield the whole time. You might get some Rain-X stuff that helps keep your windshield from fogging up. Other companies make it too. While it doesn't completely keep it defogged, it helps. So does keeping your windshield clean, on the inside. Moisture clings to particles on the windshield.

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.