Omg... First time jeep owner lost #2 cylinder after two months!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Omg... First time jeep owner lost #2 cylinder after two months!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
wincdub
2002 WJ 

Omg... First time jeep owner lost #2 cylinder after two months!!!!

I AM NOT mechanically inclined! What I know about my Jeep I have learned over the past couple months so please be patient with my ignorance.
My family purchased a 2002 grand cherokee limited 4.7l v8 in may and in July suddenly lost all compression in the number two cylinder. 100% leak down.
After removing valve cover and replacing spring the rocker arm will not stay in place. Valve is obviously stuck open. This is the extent of the work the shop did and they recommended a full engine replacement. They stated that the cost to pull the head and determine is there is block damage and get the cylinder machined and reinstallation costs are very nearly what a new engine would cost.
We have considered remanufactured engines as used engines are similar in cost and have less warranty coverage. But the cheapest quote we can get is $4600.
It has bothered me for a while that noone has even mentioned the option of replacing the cylinder head...

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!
Chris

wincdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Lakoswolf
1993 ZJ 

Hi Chris,

I think you may find more WJ assistance here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/ as that section covers the 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee The ZJ (this section) covers the 1993-1998 Grand Cherokee. You may also wish to change your Jeep description as the XJ denotes the smaller Cherokee model Jeep. As far as engines go, I've heard nothing but good things about Jasper Engines and Transmissions but I've never dealt with them myself.
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][B]93' Grand Wagoneer 5.2[/B][/COLOR]- Dad's
[COLOR="Red"]93' Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd. (Deceased)[/COLOR]
Lakoswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincdub View Post
It has bothered me for a while that noone has even mentioned the option of replacing the cylinder head...
The valve may have damaged a piston, but you won't know that til it comes apart. There is cost to taking that gamble, and it's a big gamble. The most likely reason the valve won't close is that it's tweaked from contacting the piston

Unless you're doing your own work, the replacement engine is the way to go. If you wanna be cheap, get a used engine from a salvage yard.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Sounds like another dropped valve seat.

A bore scope will tell for certain but the cause is often an overheat situation that went on too long, heated the piston, caused the steel valve seat to expand against the aluminum head & drop around the valve, preventing it from sealing and also....very likely break apart, damaging the piston and cylinder walls.

If it ever overheated on your family or the previous owner, there's probably a new radiator in there now..or if not, there also needs to be.

If they bought it in May and it failed #2 in July, ask about any overheats they had and what they did to stop the overheat... ask about the repairs done to it & why to get a full story.

Begin to source another engine.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
oldfamilyguy

Quote:
A bore scope will tell for certain
Yes, a look inside will tell you want you need to know. You may be lucky and the dropped valve seat did not break up and that whats holding that valve open. The head would have to come off for the repair but probably worth it.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
white_2003
1971 CJ5 

http://www.powertrainproducts.net/do...engine-p/1.htm
This is the company we will be buying our engine from when (if) the wj gives up the ghost 2499.99 not bad IMO.
'48 CJ2a currently under construction. (Wedding present)
white_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Jeepgcl9947

All I know is if you need a good drivers side cylinder head I got one forsale!
Jeepgcl9947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Certainly not to the point of junking the motor IMHO.
Remove the head and have a looksie. Not hard to do DIY in my book.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
wincdub
2002 WJ 

I want to remove the head and troubleshoot myself to save money and try to avoid the more costly avenue of replacing the entire engine. We mostly want to just get it running and trade it back to the shady dealer we bought it from!!! Since it was from a dealer of course they deny the vehicle ever having any issues or even signs of concern prior to our purchase haha... At any rate we have decided to go for a reman engine if necessary as used engines are almost just as expensive and they have the mileage on them and lack the warranty of the reman units.

Since the #2 cylinder is on the passenger side we do not have much use for a driver side head at the moment but given my good fortune I may stand in need of one before Im able to get rid of this junk pile!

Any help regarding the necessary tools or a diy for dummies to help me stumble through my first venture taking off this cylinder head would be fantastic!! Thank you all for your input I realy appreciate it!

Chris
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
wincdub
2002 WJ 

Unhappy Omg... First time jeep owner lost #2 cylinder after two months!!!!

I AM NOT mechanically inclined! What I know about my Jeep I have learned over the past couple months so please be patient with my ignorance.
My family purchased a 2002 grand cherokee limited 4.7l v8 in may and in July suddenly lost all compression in the number two cylinder. 100% leak down.
After removing valve cover and replacing spring the rocker arm will not stay in place. Valve is obviously stuck open. This is the extent of the work the shop did and they recommended a full engine replacement. They stated that the cost to pull the head and determine is there is block damage and get the cylinder machined and reinstallation costs are very nearly what a new engine would cost.
We have considered remanufactured engines as used engines are similar in cost and have less warranty coverage. But the cheapest quote we can get is $4600.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!
Chris
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
wincdub
2002 WJ 

These are pics of the cylinder and you can see that the rocker is loose in its position and can easliy be removed. Of course this is after whatever the ship did when I first took it in. They tried to replace the injector spring I believe and could not get the rocker to stay in and that is when they told me the valve was stuck open and quit working on it at that point.
imag0706.jpg   imag0707.jpg   imag0708.jpg   imag0709.jpg  
Unread 12-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Valve bent, won't retract. In the first pic, that roller in the rocker looks out of place. Are those metal shavings on the cam?
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.