Oil Pressure today read high all in the suddenly then go back to normal. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Pressure today read high all in the suddenly then go back to normal.

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
FordExplorer

Oil Pressure today read high all in the suddenly then go back to normal.

Oil Pressure sometime read high all in the suddenly then go back to normal. Oil Change was done with Regular 10w-30 at a Chrysler dealership last week . It this something I should worry about ?
I replace my cluster for a 2004 model one IDK if this have something to do with .

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 178,000 miles

FordExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

The oil pressure sending unit is likely starting to fail. It's non-essential to the engine, very quick and easy to replace, and fairly cheap.

I replaced mine a month or two ago because it would occasionally peg 80 and stay there until it went away by itself or I restarted the engine. Eventually it got worse, to the point where it would just be pegged at 80 indefinitely until I replaced it.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordExplorer View Post
I replace my cluster for a 2004 model one IDK if this have something to do with .
2004 does not have a oil pressure gage.....it is a dummy that works off of a pressure switch that will move gage to zero if pressure drops below 5 psi. Above 5psi gage reads midscale
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADWOLF View Post
2004 does not have a oil pressure gage.....it is a dummy that works off of a pressure switch that will move gage to zero if pressure drops below 5 psi. Above 5psi gage reads midscale
I don't think the cluster controls that. I believe it's related to the plug that actually connects to the oil pressure sending unit having 2 prongs on 2003+, whereas the 2002 or older WJs have 3 prongs.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
FordExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspah View Post
The oil pressure sending unit is likely starting to fail. It's non-essential to the engine, very quick and easy to replace, and fairly cheap.

I replaced mine a month or two ago because it would occasionally peg 80 and stay there until it went away by itself or I restarted the engine. Eventually it got worse, to the point where it would just be pegged at 80 indefinitely until I replaced it.
What would happen if i don't fix it? would it cause damage? and what the tool needed to remove the socket ? thank
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordExplorer View Post
What would happen if i don't fix it? would it cause damage? thank
Nothing. Oil pressure gages can drive people nuts....that is why automakers have dumbed them down. In the old days of idiot lights everyone was happy.
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
FordExplorer

Quote:
Nothing. Oil pressure gages can drive people nuts....that is why automakers have dumbed them down. In the old days of idiot lights everyone was happy.

they don't leak oil when you go bad?
Unread 01-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
fastfreddie

Mine does the opposite. Drops to zero and back.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Mine does the opposite. Drops to zero and back.
What year??
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

When it fails it can do either or both. Mine has done both. What can happen is if it starts to seap oil, it can get into the connector and cause it to do weird things when there is nothing overly wrong, per se. Try undoing the connector, and make sure it's clean and dry. If there is oil in it, could be what's causing the issue. You have to be careful if it is seaping oil to the point it's really starting to leak. As well if you break it off, as the plastic can get brittle over time. Remember you need a special socket for it if you replace it.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
mdavis83
2001 WJ 

It does not take a special socket. Just a fairly big one and deep as well. Can't remember the size off hand but I think it's around a 23mm or so. Maybe bigger. I spent more time getting the red clip out of the plug to pry it off then actually taking the sensor out.
mdavis83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #12
fastfreddie

Quote:
What year??
'02 Overland, 150k miles, original owner.
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #13
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis83 View Post
It does not take a special socket. Just a fairly big one and deep as well. Can't remember the size off hand but I think it's around a 23mm or so. Maybe bigger. I spent more time getting the red clip out of the plug to pry it off then actually taking the sensor out.
There are two different socket sizes available, depending on the sending unit size, but I believe the one in the link is the right size one to use. The oil sender unit socket is specially designed to allow the the plug end of the unit to fit inside straight, and fit on the 'nut' part of the sending unit properly. It is designed differently than a regular socket.

This is the mopar oil sending unit and what it looks like:

And this is the socket that is made to fit it.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...aft_10051056-p

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
'02 Overland, 150k miles, original owner.
Have verified head as being a "TUPPY"?
Unread 01-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #15
fastfreddie

How?

All I can tell you, currently, is that it's the original 4.7HO engine purchased Nov., '01.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.