oil pressure sending unit, what were your symptoms? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil pressure sending unit, what were your symptoms?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #31
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Somebody explain to me please.......

What exactly is meant by "dummy gauge"? Is it because the 1 wire sensor sends out 2 impulses? "Off and On"-ie; oil pressure and NO oil pressure?

Or is it something else?
One thing I noticed with mine old unit was it either had perfect oil pressure or zero oil pressure or was in between going from one of the two.

JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #32
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNowski View Post
Somebody explain to me please.......

What exactly is meant by "dummy gauge"? Is it because the 1 wire sensor sends out 2 impulses? "Off and On"-ie; oil pressure and NO oil pressure?

Or is it something else?
One thing I noticed with mine old unit was it either had perfect oil pressure or zero oil pressure or was in between going from one of the two.
More or less.

'99-'01 (or '02, I cant remember exactly) got a legit sending unit that gave fluctuating readings depending on oil temp, engine load, etc. The later WJ's got a dummy gauge that just tells you whether or not you have oil pressure. The readings will never fluctuate during the time the engine is running.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #33
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^Excactly how they Work, the 1 wire "dummy" gauge on 04's only shows if oil pressure are present or not, like an on/off switch.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #34
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Ok, that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure my understanding was correct.
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #35
poisoness
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmbish76 View Post
Hello I am having the same issue as u. Did you Change your sending sensor, did it stop the prob. Please help.
Thank you,
what happens if ypu don't replace it, if it works at 1200 rpms what the problem. it wont stop oil pressur from working. don't you think.
poisoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #36
JGC99
1999 WJ 

Chalk me up to having this issue as well. It fluctuates, but checked the dipstick and oil looked normal. Anyone have the part number for a 99?
JGC99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #37
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Don't know the part #, but do yourself a favor and get the mopar replacement. I've seen lots and lots of posts about the parts house sensor not working properly or failing prematurely. I got mine from the dealership and paid about $35.

Also double check the connector going into the sensor....1 wire is the dummy gauge, 2 wires is not.
Unread 02-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #38
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

The OEM unit failed first, right? Maybe the OEM units are made better these days?

At least the parts stores will warranty their stuff.
I get about 3 years out of them tops.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #39
JGC99
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNowski
Don't know the part #, but do yourself a favor and get the mopar replacement. I've seen lots and lots of posts about the parts house sensor not working properly or failing prematurely. I got mine from the dealership and paid about $35. Also double check the connector going into the sensor....1 wire is the dummy gauge, 2 wires is not.

Ok $35 isn't bad from the stealership. I'm pretty sure I have an actual gauge as mine is a 99 and it hovered around 20 for a bit then bounced around.

I'll go oem and just forget about it after. Lasted me 155k thus far. Maybe a good thing to change with the next oil changw
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #40
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

My symptoms were when it was cold out side, like below 34 deg. The gauge would drop to zero while driving, but in neutral or park, it would go to normal. After driving for a while (like 50 miles or more) it would work fine again.

I replaced the unit and it has been fine since. I got mine from Rock Auto.com for about $32 including shipping.
2000_limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #41
robertwhall
2000 WJ 

I had an oil change a couple weeks ago on my '00 GC (4.0L 6, 151k) and just in the last few days noticed the oil pressure gauge showing higher than normal....around 40-50 at idle and up to 70-80 at freeway speeds. One thing that makes me suspicious is if I turn the key w/ the engine off, the gauge goes up to about 45. Should be at zero if the engine is off and cold, I would think?
robertwhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #42
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwhall View Post
I had an oil change a couple weeks ago on my '00 GC (4.0L 6, 151k) and just in the last few days noticed the oil pressure gauge showing higher than normal....around 40-50 at idle and up to 70-80 at freeway speeds. One thing that makes me suspicious is if I turn the key w/ the engine off, the gauge goes up to about 45. Should be at zero if the engine is off and cold, I would think?
Amazing how these Heeps all have the same Fin' problems. I changed my oil two weeks ago with some cheap non-synthetic oil and wanted to drive on that oil for about couple hundred miles before dumping it and go back to synthetic so I could flush the engine. However, my oil pressure gauge is now reading 80 now when driving around.
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #43
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

To me, it's not the Jeep's problem to have these sensors fail.
It seems making one to spec by the various parts manufacturers is where the problem is.

OEM, aftermarket, they all seem to give about 3 years. Again...it's who warranties them for replacement that gets me to a purchase.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #44
poisoness
2001 WJ 

Wj filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRous View Post
I haven't gotten an opportunity to stick a manual gauge on the engine tonight (4.7 V8), but was looking for others experiences when your sending unit goes out.

I'm near 100% sure it's not my pump or major blockage(Although I'm running some seafoam in the crank case now to try and clean it before I drain the oil), since I made it about 50-60 miles home with my issues and had zero engine noises, excessive heat, or other things out of the ordinary. On start up my pressure seemed lower than normal, a shade over 40lbs and as the Jeep warmed up the pressure dropped and the check gages light came on. As I was traveling, any time I was on the gas or over 1200 rpms or so the pressure would rise to tops around 40lbs, which is lower than my normal readings, but still acceptable. When I slow down, as in coast, and come to a stop the gauge slowly drops until it reads around 1lb and the check gages light comes on.
That seemed to be the pattern on the way home, but there were periods when the gauge completely stopped working and read 0-1 for long periods, only to slowly raise up again randomly. Oil looks near perfect and isn't low, but there are about 3000 miles on it and the filter(Full synthetic/mopar filter).

as I said, I'm going to let the cleaner idle in the crank case for a bit, then follow the inspection/clean procedure for the sending unit hole and replace it with a new one. There was a bit of extra condensation on the oil fill cap that I noticed, but I've made a lot of short trips in this cold. There seems to be no coolant missing, and zero smoke coming out of the back regardless of engine speed. Anyway, just looking for any input from people that have dealt with issues like that before. Thanks!
I changed to a fram filter, haven't had a problem in over a year.
poisoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #45
rrrcecc
2001 WJ 

OP, when you're oil pressure dropped did the temperature gauge slowly rise?

im having the same oil pressure problem you had, but when my oil pressure drops my temperature will slowly rise.
rrrcecc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.