oil pressure sending unit, what were your symptoms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil pressure sending unit, what were your symptoms?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
DaveRous
1999 WJ 

oil pressure sending unit, what were your symptoms?

I haven't gotten an opportunity to stick a manual gauge on the engine tonight (4.7 V8), but was looking for others experiences when your sending unit goes out.

I'm near 100% sure it's not my pump or major blockage(Although I'm running some seafoam in the crank case now to try and clean it before I drain the oil), since I made it about 50-60 miles home with my issues and had zero engine noises, excessive heat, or other things out of the ordinary. On start up my pressure seemed lower than normal, a shade over 40lbs and as the Jeep warmed up the pressure dropped and the check gages light came on. As I was traveling, any time I was on the gas or over 1200 rpms or so the pressure would rise to tops around 40lbs, which is lower than my normal readings, but still acceptable. When I slow down, as in coast, and come to a stop the gauge slowly drops until it reads around 1lb and the check gages light comes on.
That seemed to be the pattern on the way home, but there were periods when the gauge completely stopped working and read 0-1 for long periods, only to slowly raise up again randomly. Oil looks near perfect and isn't low, but there are about 3000 miles on it and the filter(Full synthetic/mopar filter).

as I said, I'm going to let the cleaner idle in the crank case for a bit, then follow the inspection/clean procedure for the sending unit hole and replace it with a new one. There was a bit of extra condensation on the oil fill cap that I noticed, but I've made a lot of short trips in this cold. There seems to be no coolant missing, and zero smoke coming out of the back regardless of engine speed. Anyway, just looking for any input from people that have dealt with issues like that before. Thanks!

DaveRous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
narnwv

2000 WJ 

sounds like the sending unit for sure.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
eneusiis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thumbs up

Man must be that time of the month.

I just had the EXACT problem with my 2001 4.7L. It isn't too bad, the worst part is getting the electrical connection off the unit. All in all it should take you no more than a half hour to do the job.

Here are a couple notes that I learned from doing my first (assuming this is your first as well).

1. Buy the MOPAR ($55) sending unit from the dealer, I bought the cheap version from an auto parts store and it didn't work. Everyone I talked to including on here said you have to buy the MOPAR. So I did and it worked great.
2. Buy an extra quart of oil to replace what you will loose from taking off your oil filter.
3. Buy a new filter if you want.
4. Buy a deep 1-1/16" socket to get it off.

Here is your step buy step.

1. Get light under the car
2. Remove filter
3. Clean up the connection (grime, oil residue...)
4. Remove connection (remember it's position)
5. Put socket on and remove
6. Put new sensor in
7. Reconnect
8. Replace filter
9. Check oil level & replace if necessary
10. Enjoy your repaired Jeep

Hope this helps and good luck.

Eric
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
eneusiis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the link to my thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...rokee-1151549/
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
TSyl
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneusiis View Post
1. Buy the MOPAR ($55) sending unit from the dealer, I bought the cheap version from an auto parts store and it didn't work. Everyone I talked to including on here said you have to buy the MOPAR. So I did and it worked great.
I had all the same symptoms. Was very strapped for cash and went for the cheapo from autozone (BWD i think). Basically it is a $35'ish plug. At least the oil doesn't leak anymore, but, it registers nothing. As stated GO WITH MOPAR for this part!
TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
devildg84
2000 WJ 

i had the same problems... would loose pressure and then have it random, however mine started leaking when it was parked... i got mine at auto zone and put it in havent had a problem since... it was very weird though if i pulled in the driveway straight in and the truck was angled up hill it would leak but if it was backed in and the nose was angled down hill it wouldnt leak... idk why that is haha but its all good now.
devildg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
DaveRous
1999 WJ 

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll be getting into tomorrow, hopefully all goes as it should
Unread 01-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
DaveRous
1999 WJ 

The dealer was closed by the time I was done with work today, so I grabbed one of the parts store versions with a lifetime warranty for 36 bucks.
The seafoam turned the oil from near perfect looking to pretty much pitch black, so I guess I got some dirt out of there I'll keep running it every few oil changes at that rate, just to keep things clean. When I went to remove the connector from the old unit, I put a little pressure on it to pull it loose and the entire harness and wire section crumbled off leaving just the metal part left in the block. Guess it was about time to swap it, lol. Came out easily, and went in just as easily. New oil, new filter, new sensor, no issues Reading around 41/42 idle when warm, everything looks good. Guess I'll see how long the non-mopar sensor goes, with a lifetime warranty I suppose all it can cost me is a little time should it fail.

Thanks again all.
Unread 02-10-2011, 02:50 AM   #9
v8muscle
1999 WJ 

good info thanks guys

Neil
v8muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

There's something weird about it...I have the same issue too, just as of yesterday.

This will be the second one I've needed.

I'll get the AutoZone unit again as the Jeep parts store will be closed...
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Leyva_WJawd
1999 WJ 

Must be a real common issue. I have the same exact thing happening. Normally it'll happen after its been parked for a while. But what I do is then turn my car off when I get a chance at a red light, then turn it back on and problem usually goes away. I'll be getting it fixed next month though.
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
nexusts
1999 WJ 

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting their symptoms, as it helped me identify and repair the issue I was having. I wanted to offer some advice for anyone having to do this without a shop, or jack stands. This is specific to the 4.7 liter engine only.

1. I had to approach this from the top and bottom to successfully remove and replace the unit. Remove the air filter box. You can get better access to the unit, and have more light.

2. This may have already been stated, but to remove the connector without breaking the unit, slide the red tab to the side, and press the black tab on the back of the connector to remove it.

3. If you have big forearms, you're going to have a hard time using a short socket wrench due to the size of the access hole in the skid plate. I started by removing the oil filter, then cleaning up the leaking oil. I wanted a clean work surface, and wanted to be able to immediately see any leaks. I then loosened the unit with a deep 1 1/16th socket, then loosened and removed the unit from the top of the engine, by reaching underneath the power steering pump and unscrewing it by hand.

4. I reseated the new unit from the top of the engine, then finished with the socket wrench from underneath.

My WJ fired right up. I hope this helps.
nexusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #13
Dmbish76

Sending sensor, help

Hello I am having the same issue as u. Did you Change your sending sensor, did it stop the prob. Please help.
Thank you,
Dmbish76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #14
LowLyfe
2002 WJ 

I replaced mine and the warning light/chime went away.
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #15
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneusiis
Man must be that time of the month. I just had the EXACT problem
^^^X2, Had check gauge light coming up and oil pressure gauge Went all down to 0, 2 times last couple weeks, oil level Good, next start up everything was normal again, not to worried, as the 04 got the dummy gauge anyway, and oil there is,,,
new sensor at order off course.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.