oil pressure question sender - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil pressure question sender

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
jtcnj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

oil pressure question sender

I've searched this but can't find any specifics or pics. My oil pressure guage goes to 50psi when the ignition is turned to on, then goes higher, almost pegs when started.

I have a manual guage to verify oil pressure, I'm figuring on replacing the sending unit with an oem/ Mopar if the manual guage checks out.

With the oil filter removed, I still can't see the whole electrical connector, or figure it out by feel. So, I can't get the connector off. Also, is a special tool or socket need for this, or it feels like maybe 18mm.

Help?

"Dubyuh" or "Blue Bayou": Patriot Blue 2001 Up-Country WJ Limited 4.7L V8 Quadra Drive: for now known as "Al-Dente" after my wife's "mod".

New Addition 12/2011: "Pearl" Forest Green Pearlcoat 1999 xj SE 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 mostly stock for now.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Ronald Wilson Reagan
jtcnj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
nickblack
1999 WJ 

It is definitely to the left of the oil filter near the firewall. It has a brass colored nut and u need a 1-1/16" deep well socket to pull it.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

I'm guessing that you are working with a 4.7 WJ - right? If so, check out this link for a diagram showing the sender location and other useful information:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...1-4-7l-336206/

Also, the connector is most likely a locking style connector with the red locking mechanism that keeps the connector secure. If so, the small red locking clip must be slid over before the connector will release. See this link for details of a similar style locking connector:

http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...r_minivan.html
McGR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Scibbyz99WJ
1999 WJ 

my 4.0 is the same way. i turn the key to on and before starting i notice the oil pressure rises to about 50, then pegs firmly at 75 once started

Closed minds should go hand in hand with closed mouths
Scibbyz99WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
jtcnj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGR View Post
I'm guessing that you are working with a 4.7 WJ - right? If so, check out this link for a diagram showing the sender location and other useful information:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...1-4-7l-336206/

Also, the connector is most likely a locking style connector with the red locking mechanism that keeps the connector secure. If so, the small red locking clip must be slid over before the connector will release. See this link for details of a similar style locking connector:

http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...r_minivan.html
Yes, its the 4.7. Thanks for the replies guys. I can't verify by feel if it has the locking tab or not, or if you squeeze or lift something. I can only see the back 1/4 or so of it.

I am guessing nickblack is refering to the 4.0, I didn't get a chance to look mine to see it it looks like the same connector setup.

So, anybody with specific info on the '01 4.7, please chime in!

"Dubyuh" or "Blue Bayou": Patriot Blue 2001 Up-Country WJ Limited 4.7L V8 Quadra Drive: for now known as "Al-Dente" after my wife's "mod".

New Addition 12/2011: "Pearl" Forest Green Pearlcoat 1999 xj SE 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 mostly stock for now.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Ronald Wilson Reagan
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
nickblack
1999 WJ 

Yeah, I meant the 4.0
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
jtcnj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickblack View Post
Yeah, I meant the 4.0
Sorry, I didn't say which one, hey how did your area fare in the blizzard?

Ronald Wilson Reagan
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
nickblack
1999 WJ 

Believe it or not, we got only 6 in. I live jus south of I-287 and that seems to always be the cut off line for Noreaster storms. Just 2 towns north of here got 27" so we were lucky.
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
roach68
1999 WJ 

Mine had the red locking tab also and was a major PITA. I didnt even bother to put it back in, the locking tab that is. 4 months ago and still hasnt came loose. I should mention that mine was leaking from around the sensor and had a good bit of dirt and oil mix on everything, that could be why it was so hard to remove
roach68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
jtcnj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickblack View Post
Believe it or not, we got only 6 in. I live jus south of I-287 and that seems to always be the cut off line for Noreaster storms. Just 2 towns north of here got 27" so we were lucky.
Lucky is right! My back just stopped hurting from #^%$*@@ shoveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach68 View Post
Mine had the red locking tab also and was a major PITA. I didnt even bother to put it back in, the locking tab that is. 4 months ago and still hasnt came loose. I should mention that mine was leaking from around the sensor and had a good bit of dirt and oil mix on everything, that could be why it was so hard to remove
Thanks, I'll try to clean it up better and feel for the tab tomorrow. I'm off work. I'm signing up for Advanced Welding at the votec! Then I'll work on it a bit.

The phone rang while I was typing this: my wife is stranded, the xj wont crank! Great... gotta go.

Ronald Wilson Reagan
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
themow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

nevermind

Last edited by themow; 01-04-2011 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: stupidity
themow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.