Oil or other fluid leak? (Images) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil or other fluid leak? (Images)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Colton5419
2004 WJ 

Wj Oil or other fluid leak? (Images)

Hey everyone, just noticed a small area on the garage floor where my WJ has been slowly dripping fluid while parked. I'm not sure exactly but to me it appears to be OIL, as its darker, and not bright red. I've checked my oil level and transmission level and both are fine, not noticeably low.

All the fluids in my WJ are new or newer, within the last 2000 miles. At least the transmission fluid, transmission filter, both differentials, and the transfer case, as well as engine oil which was most recently changed less than 1000 miles ago.

I guess why I'm posting comes down to, does this need to be repaired? What is the actual problem, and how much would it cost to have this repaired roughly if it's really needed?

Here are some images upon further inspection. I noticed a drop forming at the location in the image, ready to drop; so definitely a SLOW leak, but leaving spots over time.

(OlllllllO)
Colton5419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Also check your oil filter to see if it has drips coming off of it, as well as check your front pinion seal if you have 4wd. It seems your parking the same everytime, park your car and look straight above where the drip is.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

You might have double ringed your oil filter. That can cause a slow leak
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
dsodko
2002 WJ 

Oil pressure switch and/or connector leak. Pressure wash at a car wash, then check it a couple of times after it has set during the evening. That how I found mine.
dsodko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

That is your rear main seal. Fairly easy to replace on the 4.0 as its a two piece seal so need to drop the tranny. But, its slow enough right now that I wouldn't worry about it.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

yeah, his pic. is of the rear main is wet, but I don't see it dripping yet. I have "wet" areas all around my oil pan, but none actually dripping...

unless maybe he wiped it off before taking the pic, or it's blowing back a little before dripping down.
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Colton5419
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
yeah, his pic. is of the rear main is wet, but I don't see it dripping yet. I have "wet" areas all around my oil pan, but none actually dripping...

unless maybe he wiped it off before taking the pic, or it's blowing back a little before dripping down.
Yeah I wiped off where I actually saw a drip forming with a white paper towel to get an idea of what color the fluid was. It must be that rear main seal that you are taking about.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on it for any more leakage, if it starts to really leak I will have it taken care of. I'm glad to hear the transmission doesn't have to be dropped. Should keep the cost down for a shop to do the repair!

(OlllllllO)
Colton5419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
sprocket1200
2001 WJ 

He said tranny must be dropped. My oil spots are same and no low oil levels. I'm sitting on it for now.
sprocket1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
That is your rear main seal. Fairly easy to replace on the 4.0 as its a two piece seal so NO need to drop the tranny. But, its slow enough right now that I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket1200 View Post
He said tranny must be dropped. My oil spots are same and no low oil levels. I'm sitting on it for now.
Think he just forgot the word "no" my friends... rear main is forward of the transmission and is 2 pieces on the 4.0
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.