Oil leak on my 2.7 Diesel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil leak on my 2.7 Diesel

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectDan's 15% Birthday Sale!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Oil leak on my 2.7 Diesel

As the title suggests I have an oil leak which seems to be coming from somewhere above the starter motor. Any ideas what this might be?

Globetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2015, 01:14 AM   #2
MadderThanMax

4:53AM???? Don't you go to be at all??

How long has it been there Kev? and its not trans fluid by any chance?
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
MadderThanMax

Photos please? Had a look on mine and I can't see where it would come from, so my thoughts are diesel off the filter or trans fluid??
Unread 07-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Hi Dave. Think these are on continental time or something it was 05:53 but still early I know. had to get up at that time when I was working and the habit stuck.
Anyway it's definitely dirty black engine oil and seems to be coming from the starter area. Been doing it for about a week now. Just hope it's not rear main bearing seal finding its way out of the bell housing in that area. I will try to get it up on ramps or jacks for a better look and will try to take photos. Might be a few days before I can look. I do a bit of grass cutting for beer money and today the back axle snapped on my mower, needs a new transaxle so that must take priority.

Last edited by Globetrotter; 07-10-2015 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: added reason for delay in looking.
Unread 07-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
MadderThanMax

Okay mate,

Clean until spotless, make sure the area is totally clean, then place a piece of card (old box) or even yer Mrs best white linen down and monitor it for a couple of days. Also check you oil to see if you have any loss as you suspect it out the back of the block..
and repot back...
Unread 07-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

I'll do that Dave but one peculiar thing I have now noticed the leak is intermittent??? A couple of times I have done the same journey but found no drips on the drive Other times same journey and big drips. Once I get the mower sorted I'll do a proper investigation.
Unread 07-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

I had a drip in a similar place....turned out to be a fuel leak that was leaking from the drain at the rear of the injector channel then running down the block. Half a turn on one of the nuts that holds the metal pipe to the injector sorted that. Just an idea and it should be obvious if its diesel or oil. Might be worth pulling the plastic engine cover off for a quick look though.
Unread 07-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
MadderThanMax

^ See, that's what I think it is.. hence maybe a photo "might" help..
Unread 07-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
MadderThanMax

Rumty Tum....
Unread 07-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Be patient Dave, still got to get the mower fixed first. New axle supposed to be coming today. Soon as it's done will attack the Jeep.
Unread 07-25-2015, 01:19 AM   #11
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but thought it only polite to finish it as both Dean and Dave had tried to help.
I don't have a parts list (wish I did) but found a drawing of the PCV system on the net. it showed a breather? pipe from the back of the cylinder head pointing downwards which set me thinking the leak might be from there due to crankcase pressure. Can't see this pipe either from above or below so was not certain but wondered if the breather/oil separator was ok. it looked all right but for the sale of thirty quid I replaced it. Did a fairly long run yesterday and no drip on drive this morning so it looks as though that was the problem.
Unread 07-25-2015, 01:43 AM   #12
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

The pipe a from the back of the cylinder head is separate from the pcv...the pcv runs from the plastic breather near the front of the head to the turbo pipe. The one on the back drains any water or diesel that might build up on top of the had. The channel where the injectors sit could fill with diesel (if you had a leak) or water after a ford crossing without it. I mentioned earlier that I had the same issue when injector number five's feed pipe wad not right enough and fuel leaked into the top of the had and drained through that pipe.

Sent from the Dark Side (of the Pond) using only the Force.
Unread 07-25-2015, 01:56 AM   #13
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Ah. I was wrong on that one then. But replacing the oil separator does seem to have stopped the leak where ever it was from. I will continue to monitor it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.