Oil leak that I can't find - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil leak that I can't find

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
nickblack
1999 WJ 

Oil leak that I can't find

Installed new rear main seal and oil pump. The leak from the RMS is gone as it is clearly dry and clean up in there. However, after I stop from a highway run, I see some smoke coming from under the truck and clearly smell oil burning which is probably dripping on my exhaust. The filter is on good, the sending unit is dry, I'm not burning oil out of my exhaust, and my oil level has remained steady. I also don't see any oil on the ground overnight. I am at a loss as to where this oil is coming from. Any ideas?

nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

Valve cover gasket by the firewall. This is just a wild guess but seems appropriate.
fosterjd79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
nickblack
1999 WJ 

That would make sense but the VCG is only about 2 yrs old. Difficult to see back there but a logical place to look. With a new oil pump, I have much better oil pressure and possibly it sprung a leak. I will have to get back there and look. Thanks
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
WJ2121

Check your oil pan bolts also
WJ2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
nickblack
1999 WJ 

Oil pan gasket is new when I changed RMS. It's not leaking. It must be the VCG leaking from the back and dripping on the exhaust. Funny thing is, is that I only smell the burning oil and see smoke after a highway run and it never happens when I drive around locally.
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

As said, with the 4.0L valve cover can come loose and leak down the back. Also oil filter assemblies can seep oil, or your oil sending unit as well could seep oil. I'd say clean your engine really well, and then examine for leaks to try to pinpoint where it's coming from. It's also possible the front of the oil pan is seeping, and blowing back, but if so, you should be able to see it underneath on the oil pan.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
WJ02FNG
2002 WJ 

Please post follow up. I am having the same issue on my 4.0.
WJ02FNG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
nickblack
1999 WJ 

It was the VCG leaking from the back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.