Oil leak.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil leak..

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
nchunter
2004 WJ 

Oil leak..

I am trying to find out where oil could be coming from on the back of the engine. I smelled oil yesterday and I just looked and found oil is 2 qts low and there is a lot of oil laying on the top of the front part of the transmission. I also have oil spray on the firewall. Is there something above where the transmission attaches to the engine that could be leaking oil???

nchunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
berndog67
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunter View Post
I am trying to find out where oil could be coming from on the back of the engine. I smelled oil yesterday and I just looked and found oil is 2 qts low and there is a lot of oil laying on the top of the front part of the transmission. I also have oil spray on the firewall. Is there something above where the transmission attaches to the engine that could be leaking oil???
usually there is caused by the valve cover gaskets, there easy to replace, just getting everything outta the way to get the valve covers off is the hardest part! make sure u get the updated ones that are blue, they are supposed to last longer and dont need to be retightened due to gasket crush
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
detroitrust
2002 WJ 

Berndog, Who makes the blue one?
detroitrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
berndog67
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitrust View Post
Berndog, Who makes the blue one?
felpro, got them from advance auto, there just normal replacements, there like a 2nd generation updated version, not sure what the differences are, but they dont crush as much and supposed to not dry out as quick so they last longer too
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

x2 on the VCG. I just did the left side and am getting ready to do the right. I just used an OEM from the stealership. I never heard of the blue ones and can't speak to them. Like he said, most of the work is removing everything to get to the cover.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
sprocket1200
2001 WJ 

don't forget to apply time to this. our jeep has been leaking for years, but not enough to raise an eyebrow over. spots on the ground, let alone the tranny cover.
sprocket1200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.