Oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil leak

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
homerdog
2002 WJ 

Oil leak

I've got a '02 WJ with a 4.0l I6. It has a substantial oil leak, it looks like the oil is coming out from the head gasket. Is that possible????? The engine is wet with oil on the passenger side, from the headgasket area down. Its wet around the cam sensor, and under the oil filter, also around the back of the engine.

I thought valve cover gasket, but there is little to no oil from the head gasket area up to the valve cover, almost no oil around plugs or in the plug recesses. I also wiped the oil off the rear of the valve cover around the PCV grommet, no new leak there. HELP!!!!!

Unread 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
homerdog
2002 WJ 

??
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
brianestep
2000 WJ 

if you aren't experiencing any head gasket symptoms, another common "leak" in that area is the oil pressure sending unit
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
indept
2000 WJ 

I've been seeing the same thing. I leak oil on the passenger side too. My valve cover gasket is fine (new about 3 years ago and dry).I just replaced the pan gasket in December. It was leaking & getting on the exhaust so that solved the smoking. I replaced the rear main while I had the pan off. The pressure switch & filter seem fine too. The front crankshaft seal (timing cover) is dry. The block seems to be wet from the head down. What seems funny is there shouldn't be any pressurized oil feed through the block to the head on the passenger side, because that is where the push rods come up through the head so there is NO pressure galleries on that side wall of the block or head. I added dye to the oil so and checked after about 20 miles of driving & no dye visible under UV light so I will drive it this week & see what happens.
Unread 04-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
indept
2000 WJ 

Well, the results of my UV dye in the oil test are in, The head gasket is leaking oil onto the passenger side of the block. I could see where it dripped down. What puzzles me is that there is no pressure there, just the opening in the head where the push rods come thru & oil drains back down. It's not worth doing a head gasket for the little bit of oil it does leak, it's just annoying. I may clean it off really good & put some silicone form a gasket along it to see if it will slow it down at least.
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
grussell
2001 WJ 

The inside of the engine has pressure, including the passenger side. The oil pressure sensor accesses this same area. Oil pressure runs 30 - 60 psi depending on wear and tear. Has your engine ever overheated. This could warp the head causing the leak.
Unread 04-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
indept
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell View Post
The inside of the engine has pressure, including the passenger side. The oil pressure sensor accesses this same area. Oil pressure runs 30 - 60 psi depending on wear and tear. Has your engine ever overheated. This could warp the head causing the leak.

The engine has pressure BUT the head has No oil pressure galleries going to it. The valves are lubricated via the pushrods. The oil drains back to the pan mostly on the passenger side through the openings where the push rods come thru. Never overheated and not warped. Engine runs great. The oil pressure sensor is in the block about 4 - 6 inches below the head. The only pressure the area that leaks is subject to is crankcase pressure from ring blow-by. Now if the CCV (crankcase ventilation) system is clogged it may be building up some positive pressure but would it be enough to force that leak? The I6 doesn't have a typical PCV valve, it has an orifice fitting in the rear valve cover grommet and I will check to see if it or the hose is gummed up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.