Oil Filter Leak, Sender? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Filter Leak, Sender?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

Wj Oil Filter Leak, Sender?

I'm doing some work on my son's 2001 4.7L Limited. I noticed an oil leak by the filter. I'm not sure if it's the filter (doubtful) or the sender above it. I'd like to know if that is an oil pressure sender or some other Jeep sensor. When I do the filter it'll be a lot easier to change with the filter off. About all I can tell you is that it has two wires coming from it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
boomersoonerGC
1999 WJ 

You may also check the PS pump right above there. Its common for it to leak on the 4.7's. I am experiencing this problem myself.
boomersoonerGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
TSyl
2001 WJ 

The sensor right above the filter is the oil pressure sending unit. Common for the to go out. I have 2001 4.7 too, did mine last summer. And yes, it is MUCH easier with the filter off.
TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

Wj

Thanks for the input folks. Off to NAPA we go.

I'd get it from Rock Auto but can't wait on the mail delivery.

Unread 05-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
TSyl
2001 WJ 

By the way, I forget what size (1 1/16" I think) but you will want to have a deep socket handy for removal/installation.
TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Remove the electrical connector before taking off the sending unit. The red clip has to slide out in order to push the release for the connector. (Red clip needs to be thrown out upon reinstallation for when the sending unit fails next time.)
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

Wj

Double E, I assume you are being a little sarcastic when you say throw away the red clip?

If not please explain.

Thanks!!

Unread 05-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

That red clip is a real devil, I threw mine away. That connection doesn't want to come off very easy even without it on there.

Be careful with the new unit if you get aftermarket, it is quite easy to break them. Ask me how I know...
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

Wj

O.K. I get it. Thanks!

I guess if it was easy it wouldn't be a JEEP!!

Unread 05-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
straty1987

i might have to check if mine is leaking when the rain end on Sunday, i have a leaking valve cover and oil making its way down slow but no drips or loss of oil yet.

its under Oil Pressure Switch?
i remember people saying to only use mopar oen or will have the light on, is the wrong?
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Mopar tends to read right.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Oil pressure sending unit is what it may be listed as.

Mine reads fine. I've used a few types and they read pressures like OEM.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.